Back from Hypo - First Steps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter btkrausen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
4,835
Reaction score
103
Location
Bardstown, KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming to a close for my 8-9 week of hypo and all my fish look great. No signs of ich and everybody has a great appetite. However, with hypo, I lost all my inverts and likely any natural filtration from live rock. Additionally, I'm still fighting cyano which I believe is the result of phosphate ridden dry rock.

Once I get my salinity back, I'm thinking about completely replacing my current rock with new, live rock from Premium Aquatics. I'll likely buy 100% cured so it can go right in the tank, and I'll do it in threes so to keep the cost down a little. However, coming out of hypo I'm thinking about putting it in a tank for 8 weeks to make sure no ich or anything moves into the display.

Once that is replaced, I plan to order coepods, clean up clean, shrimp, etc to get some natural cleaners in there again.

Thoughts?
 
So you're thinking of putting the new LR in the hypo tank?
 
I would just let the current stuff run its corse. It'll come back and be just as good as new stuff in time.
 
I was thinking about replacing the rock for two reasons....to get rid of the dry rock that is probably leaching phosphates and also add life back into the tank.

I wouldn't add the rock until I have the salinity back up to normal in the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new