Hello and welcome to R2R!
goofy movie hello GIF

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little introduction of myself and reef background/experience. When I started my reefing journey (2002) my wife and I had four kids, all young, and I was traveling for work way more than I had ever anticipated. My business travel left a lot of the family and tank burdens on my wonderful wife. Yes, we are still together today celebrating 25 years! Since tearing down my tank almost six years ago, major life changes, and kids all moving out, it is time to resurrect my long lost hobby. Currently I work as a career firefighter/Paramedic in Utah. I serve as the Captain on C-Shift on a 48/96 schedule. For those that are firefighters, we are dual house (fire and EMS). I run a Ladder Company, with two paramedic ambulances and a rescue. I also serve as a critical care paramedic for Utah SAR. I am having the time of my life!!

I started in reef keeping in 2002 with a large 400g mixed reef tank. It was exciting, rewarding, and rather frustrating, and oh, expensive. My original tank was designed poorly, with inefficient water flow, return, and the acrylic was not the quality I was hoping or sold on. Anyway, speed forward 10+ years and I was done. Today I am just starting the design and build of my new tank. The specs on the new tank are: 84L X 30W X 30H (330 gallon) DT - located on the main floor just off of the living room. Fully visible from the living room and kitchen. It will be viewable from the front and left end and encased with cabinetry above and below the DT. The plan is a mixed reef, leaning more on the SPS side. Lighting will be provided by four (4) Radion XR30 G5 Pro's. All filtration will be plumbed into a dedicated room in the basement. The filtration/fish room will house the sump, refugium, mixing station with RO/ID, neptune apex system, frag tank, QT tank, and a sink.

I am excited to get back into the game with this new tank build. I will do my beat to create a new build thread to document the journey.
Hello and welcome

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back