OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well, corals are happy, fish are happy and six line wrasse remains well mannered. I did order a AquaUV advantage 2000+ to install and get rid of the mediocre green killing machine. Can't wait for that to come in.

I'm also dosing phosphates now since they were 0. I'm really itching to order some corals but very scared of shipping delays during the holidays.

IMG_1517.JPG

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua UV came in, install turned out a bit more bootleg then I was envisioning in my head. Wanted it for the clarifying aspect and algae/bacterial control so plumbed straight to the return pump. Falls within AquaUV’s recommended flow rate.

6E3FB823-5469-459D-BA3E-73B36F2D2025.jpeg
3A15DBF3-9EA6-4490-A355-79B10718EA6C.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam I just decided really early this morning since I couldn’t sleep and pondering over my UV plumbing debacle that I’m bagging the use of my UV on this build. And I’m selling the unit to be rid once and for all. Going with a hospital tank instead if I get a parasitic outbreak. Planning on getting really handy with my fish trap. Glad you got your UV going !!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to have one of those on mine. How are you liking the flow with the back wall mounts? I know it's hard to tell until you get enough varied corals in there. I found it was not optimal with my rockscape. It ended up one directional so now I have side mounts.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I’m looking at putting my gyres on the back like in the lower left example. Then putting a discoid wavemaker on the front of the overflow box of my Reefer 250.
—Mitch.
7707F5DD-3CBB-4F56-B06D-048092BBDBE2.png
I have seen them mounted like that previously. It all depends on your scape in front. Most back wall set ups seem to use at least 4 powerheads. 2 are smaller directional tune type that I see in the upper back corners angled down towards the center.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam I just decided really early this morning since I couldn’t sleep and pondering over my UV plumbing debacle that I’m bagging the use of my UV on this build. And I’m selling the unit to be rid once and for all. Going with a hospital tank instead if I get a parasitic outbreak. Planning on getting really handy with my fish trap. Glad you got your UV going !!!

Yeah, it's a lot more annoying than one would think, seems like a simple install but we are very limited on space in these cabinets. This was the best I could come up with in my situation for now.

If it's for parasitic reasons I would just go the QT route anyway like you are, it's just going to be more effective than managing any present issues in the tank. I doubt UV is going to help much in case of anything severe like velvet or brook. I've easily managed ick in the past without UV on the other hand.

I'd like to have one of those on mine. How are you liking the flow with the back wall mounts? I know it's hard to tell until you get enough varied corals in there. I found it was not optimal with my rockscape. It ended up one directional so now I have side mounts.

It's not bad, definitely not too strong though, it could use a little more flow. I just shot this quick video of my hammer on the back wall to give you an idea. It works with my wave makers being on the back wall.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my favorite

@Lavey29 I’ve seen Luis Rosa’s tank before and love it. Can’t remember who did the interview. The Tunze Wavebox is great and I’ve thought about getting one many times but takes up a lot of real estate. Love the side-to-side standing wave they make. They were really popular many years ago. Thanks for the video brings back memories.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a lot more annoying than one would think, seems like a simple install but we are very limited on space in these cabinets. This was the best I could come up with in my situation for now.

If it's for parasitic reasons I would just go the QT route anyway like you are, it's just going to be more effective than managing any present issues in the tank. I doubt UV is going to help much in case of anything severe like velvet or brook. I've easily managed ick in the past without UV on the other hand.

It's not bad, definitely not too strong though, it could use a little more flow. I just shot this quick video of my hammer on the back wall to give you an idea. It works with my wave makers being on the back wall.

@NanoSteam my situation was so annoying. I had the Pentair which is 2 to 3 times long than your UV. I actually cut two holes in my stand to accommodate it. An in and out holes for plumbing lines.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank on the stand this morning and finished up scaping/filling the tank. I'm very happy with the "two island" setup. I ended up using up all 40lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock shapes.

I'm just waiting on receiving my 2nd Hydra 26HD at this point.

Tomorrow I'll add 2ppm of ammonia to the tank and drop in the Bio-Spira.

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
I like the scape - and the look of the LifeRock! I ordered a bunch for my new tank but haven't seen it up close before, so good to see that it looks nice. :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good updates, and first livestock is in! Fish were added Sunday. I was comfortable with the nitrite levels as at those levels it’s far from dangerous for Saltwater.

I did a 30% water change then added the fish to bring the nitrates down. As of Monday morning nitrites we’re already 0.

9/6/21
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 30 ppm

9/7/21
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 30 ppm

Pictures and a video of fish.
-Blood orange clownfish
-Royal gramma

I moved to a new town and decided to check their Petco as the reviews were good. I was surprised to find a small BUT very clean department. No algae, no sick or dead fish in the tanks and the frag tank looked immaculate. The employee there knew his stuff and was also a hobbyist. I could tell he cared about the fish. I felt comfortable purchasing unlike the neglected Petco in my last town. I was also pleasantly surprised to find they maintain 1.026 salinity in their tanks when I checked the bag water at home. Not very typical of them.

5D3EF105-F76E-4461-A804-879B8683D027.jpeg

52F794C8-E03E-40F7-BA59-AA33F6C70425.jpeg
37AF5417-892A-443E-9E91-5EF89981539F.jpeg

That's impressive for Petco - good looking fish you got there!

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape - and the look of the LifeRock! I ordered a bunch for my new tank but haven't seen it up close before, so good to see that it looks nice. :)

That's impressive for Petco - good looking fish you got there!

Thanks! yeah the liferock is great, i just wish it was a bit more porous, it looks like it's not as great for beneficial bacteria as the other dry varieties but Caribsea claims it is. I added the polyp lab gensis bio media just in case for added filtration.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! yeah the liferock is great, i just wish it was a bit more porous, it looks like it's not as great for beneficial bacteria as the other dry varieties but Caribsea claims it is. I added the polyp lab gensis bio media just in case for added filtration.
Welcome! Yeah I was worried about that actually... I was thinking about dropping in either a 2" Brightwell Aquatics xport bio block or some ceramic filter spheres. Also plan on using CaribSea live sand - just can't decide between the special grade and the fiji pink. I can't tell from pictures online which one is "whiter" - they both look a little darker than I'd like in the bag, but maybe lighter under the tank lights? Did you use special grade?

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Yeah I was worried about that actually... I was thinking about dropping in either a 2" Brightwell Aquatics xport bio block or some ceramic filter spheres. Also plan on using CaribSea live sand - just can't decide between the special grade and the fiji pink. I can't tell from pictures online which one is "whiter" - they both look a little darker than I'd like in the bag, but maybe lighter under the tank lights? Did you use special grade?

They're all relatively white but i find it difficult to keep it as clean as it was new. I'm using special grade and very happy with the grain size. It doesn't blow around at all and does not get sucked out when I vacuum the sand.

Fiji pink is popular but a smaller grain size, you may have some issues with it blowing around if you're going to run high flow for SPS. I had made the big mistake of going with oolite in my 20g and that was awful to deal with.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all relatively white but i find it difficult to keep it as clean as it was new. I'm using special grade and very happy with the grain size. It doesn't blow around at all and does not get sucked out when I vacuum the sand.

Fiji pink is popular but a smaller grain size, you may have some issues with it blowing around if you're going to run high flow for SPS. I had made the big mistake of going with oolite in my 20g and that was awful to deal with.
I don't think I'd be getting into SPS for quite a while - I'm new at this (other than helping my dad take care of his FOWLR tank growing up). I plan on just starting with a few fish and some inverts and then attempting some some soft corals and maybe LPS later on. Nothing too fancy in mind. Thought about getting a sand-sifting goby to help turn over the sand but thinking as my tank is only 32.5 gal I should wait on that for a larger future tank (and just get a cute little yellow watchman goby instead). I like the smaller grain size of the fiji pink but if vacuuming it is going to be a pain I may just go with the special grade. (Too many decisions, lol... but I work in financial planning and probably overthink everything). ;Facepalm

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'd be getting into SPS for quite a while - I'm new at this (other than helping my dad take care of his FOWLR tank growing up). I plan on just starting with a few fish and some inverts and then attempting some some soft corals and maybe LPS later on. Nothing too fancy in mind. Thought about getting a sand-sifting goby to help turn over the sand but thinking as my tank is only 32.5 gal I should wait on that for a larger future tank (and just get a cute little yellow watchman goby instead). I like the smaller grain size of the fiji pink but if vacuuming it is going to be a pain I may just go with the special grade. (Too many decisions, lol... but I work in financial planning and probably overthink everything). ;Facepalm

Then I'd say you're fine with either sand but can never go wrong with special grade if you're in doubt. You should still be fine vacuuming the fiji pink, I don't want to sway you away from it if you prefer the look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back