OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Control / dosing cabinet getting closer. Still missing the ION, 2 vortech controllers and the last Royal Exclusive pump controller. Also needs lots of cable routing.
EA6404BC-5C79-413E-95EC-DCC544C86305.jpeg

Last edited:

mclayj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fabricated UVs and return support brackets today. Still need to trim up all thread but I am close.
IMG_0157.jpeg
Tank, stand and plumbing all look amazing. Did the plan for a filtration room change since the beginning? Did Felix add black vinyl around the top rim to hide the waterline? What is that option called? I’ve got a Reef Savvy on order and it looks really nice but really interested to see it once you’ve got water in it.

mclayj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, stand and plumbing all look amazing. Did the plan for a filtration room change since the beginning? Did Felix add black vinyl around the top rim to hide the waterline? What is that option called? I’ve got a Reef Savvy on order and it looks really nice but really interested to see it once you’ve got water in it.
And any specific reason you chose hybrid over ghost overflow?

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Felix does the vinyl trim to cover the waterline as an option. I also had him vinyl one short side because it will be up against a wall. Just talk with him and he will get you taken care of.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house plans and contractor for the house changed so I lost the fish room. The room on the other side of the tank wall is currently is a dog room with a hand held shower wand and a drain in the floor with tile ~ 4’ up the wall. It will become the fish room at some point in the future.

He did but I do not know how he refers to that option to hide the waterline.

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hiding in the dark corners of the house, browsing forbidden websites until my wife busted me, and I had to admit that I was about to relapse into reefing. This tank build will be my second. I was delighted with my original tank build, but demands on my time from work and life, in general, drove me to sell the tank after only two years. I missed it as soon as the happy recipient removed it from my premises.

This build will be slow, twelve to eighteen months minimum. We are in the early stages of designing a new home, the tank and required equipment needed will be a significant consideration in the design of my office.

The high-level plan is a custom tank around 200 gallons. The stand will be furniture grade to match my current office furniture. I am in the process of bartering with the wife to add a fish room to hide all of the equipment required to automate and ease maintenance.

During my original build, the most significant expense was not buying the equipment I wanted right out of the gate. I would purchase something lesser or not complete my research and make a wrong purchase.

My first step is to start talking with custom tank and stand builders.
So questions to the community:

• Who have you used to build your tank, stands?
  • Are you pleased with the result?
  • How well did you work with the builders of your custom tank or stand?
  • What would you do differently specifying the tank or selecting builders?
doing the same myself, though I'm looking at 500-600 gal.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing the same myself, though I'm looking at 500-600 gal.
Ah, going big!

I have been really enjoying getting mine going. From research, design, ordering parts, fabrication and assembly. It has been a long process but think I am weeks from a running tank. Wiring, lighting and programming the GHL is next.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting mount started. It will of course be mounted higher over the tank. I will probably also need to add a support cable to the top.
IMG_0173.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0172.jpeg
I am going to Mount three front to back offset Kessel tuna blues. The pendent length will be adjustable.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something very similar for my setup. I integrated mine into the back of my stand instead of wall mounting with lengths that go to the floor so I can adjust up if needed. I used 45° sections for strength and it seems to easily do the job, granted mine is a single light on a 20G

I'm thinking about adding a horizontal piece and hard mounting my next light

20230911_194904.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back