Back into the hobby, in Australia!

scotto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just doing the due diligence for joining the forum. It's been about 15 (ish) years since I had a reef tank back in America, and now back into the hobby down under.

My word, how so much has changed. I remember having a noisy Supreme mag-drive pump in a wet dry filter (gasp!), growing Caulerpa, old school hang on the back overflow (how many scares that caused), and a temperamental Tunze ATO unit. We had metal halides and T5s that were fabulous, but the power draw and heat generation was horrendous. I also remember having a Red Sea skimmer at the time that sounded like a buzz saw, and had a pretty unattractive design. It worked, sort of. There were no app based setups, no LEDs, very few DC pumps, just noisy skimmers and equipment.

Water chemistry products were mainly Seachem and Kent Marine from what I remember. The cycling products back then were also not great, nor the advice using them. I remember taking algal blooms under the microscope and ID'ing horrid Dinos. Water chemistry testing was also just difficult. Nothing like the Hanna checkers or Red Sea pro test kits today.

What a time. Nonetheless, you could still have a beautiful tank, just with a bit more time and patience I think.

And here we are now. I purchased a Red Sea Reefer as the local shops didn't have many options. Quite happy with the build quality with several adjustments (I'll put in the build thread).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
WELCOME48.jpg

Ozzi-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’Day Mate, welcome to Oz. You are going to find reefing here a bit different to what you might have been used to in the states. Where else can you go see the beauty of the GBR (well at least the bits that are still hanging on) only to know that the few operators with licences to touch any of it, send all the best stuff back to the Yanks. But, hey, the trade goes both ways across the Pacific - we get the gear from the US (which somehow magically triples in price on the plane trip over). Don’t get me wrong, I love living on this beautiful Island at the centre of the coralverse - it’s just frustrating that a dude in Minnesota, a thousand miles from the nearest salt water, can reef so much easier than we can here. I guess it’s the challenge we love doing this down under.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back