Back pressure from feed but stopping co2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased a 612x2 reactor. After experiencing a slight leak in the seat of the second chamber to the base (fixed now, thank you for the glue).

I'm now experiencing a problem with the co2 not entering the reactor unless set at a higher bubble rate. I notice when i unplug the feed pump (MJ1200 as recommeneded) the co2 build up will then release. Once plug back in, it then stops the co2. It seems to be a direct correlation between the feed pumps pressure and the co2 balancing out. In which the feed pump wins at a lower psi.

Secondary reg set at 12 psi and effluent @ 70 ml/min. Electronic doser - anything over 1 bps has a hard time pushing through.

Please advise on how to correct this. I used to run a 618, 5 years ago with great ease and success - which is why i went with another one of your products..

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add that i did change the "standard check valve" that came on the reactor. I used the one provided with the electronic co2 doser. Similar to your $20 valve, besides push fittings on both ends - made in the USA ;)

Wondering also if perhaps the valve needs to be exercised since it is new? Not sure if that applies to these valves, but ill just keep the bubble count up - but as low as necessary.

Thank you!

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY FOR THE AQUARIUM PLANTS CARBONDOSER:

Hello.....your issue is the psi coming from the Carbondoser. More to the point it is the gray check valve that comes with it. We get this a lot with that check valve when coupled with the Carbondoser. The Carbndoser has TWO adjustments.
1. Seconds per bubble (bottom dial)
2. Bubble size (Large top dial) and the (top gauge)
I have found it takes "a bubble size" of 11 to crack the check valve almost immediately (3 PSI stated by manufacture). A setting any less most often takes some time to build up pressure inline to crack the check valve (this is fine to do, you have to get use to not watching the bubble counter on the GEO CR).

My recommendation when using the Carbondoser and the accompanying check valve is to set the "Seconds per bubble" to 2.5 and "bubble size" to 7 and adjust the effluent as needed starting at 35-40 mlpm.

In short, the issue is not the feed pump. It is the pressure setting on the large top dial. Start will the recommended settings above and let me know how that goes. After making the adjustments make sure to give a couple of hours to observe and note changes.

Thank you

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your recommended settings of 2.5 seconds per bubble and 40 ml/min @ size 7 (7 psig) I have a ph of 7.92 in the reactor.

I set it to roughly 0.8 seconds per bubble just to average 1 bubble every 10 seconds in the counter. I know it won't match, but its pretty far off. I just wanted to see at what count i would actually see co2 going through. i also never saw any bubbles after several minutes at the 2.5 seconds per bubble.

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tubing correctly connected. @ 14 psig there was still no co2 and a reading of 7.78 ph inside the reactor

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time i typically see co2 or a lowering of the ph is when the bubble count is low >1 bubble per second.

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the check valve has an issue. Lets try this: Remove the gray check valve and replace it with the one I shipped with the reactor. Make sure to point the check valve in the right direction. Go back to my original settings of:
My recommendation when using the Carbondoser and the accompanying check valve is to set the "Seconds per bubble" to 2.5 and "bubble size" to 7 and adjust the effluent as needed starting at 35-40 mlpm.

LMK what happens......

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valves changed.

I can't even blow through the gray check valve.. is that normal?

Not sure if that matters anywho - standard check valve in place. 7 psig @ 2.5 seconds per bubble and ~40ml/min. No sign of co2 after 1.5 hours. Bumped to 8 psig. Will check back shortly.

The weird thing is, is it seems to work just fine once bubble rate is increased regardless of pressure.

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a call tomorrow between 10am-3pm tomorrow at the shop. Number is on our website. Better to work through this over the phone. We are missing something?

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i can't figure it out. I've run a reactor (Geo) before and it was a breeze.

Could there be something with the Carbondoser? It seems to be functioning.

I will be at work until 5:30 tomorrow? Are you available at all Saturday?

OP
OP
Frozn

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if you'll see this, but I'll be going home for lunch and giving you a call!

RonSwanson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to resurrect an old thread but was there a fix on this? I have exactly the same problem with both check valves, carbon doser, and Geo 818 reactor along with 618 secondary. Mine behaves exactly the same as above described. New installation, all new components.

geo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please email [email protected] with a description of your issue, a photo of your reactor and:

List of supporting equipment:
1. regulator model
2. feed pump model (peristaltic, standard pump or manifold)
3. pH control type (controller or none)

List of the following settings:
1. Reactor pH set point
2. Effluent rate in MLPM
3. CO2 PSI
4. CO2 bubble count (One bubble every how many seconds).

Thank you
GEO

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back