Back to halides?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...You paid more money for lighting to slow down growth, instead of fragging And selling?

What the... Anthony?!

Yeah but with LED colors you get more for each frag I bet. I can't lie, with my halides on alone, I feel the same way about the level of color pop as I feel about the growth rate under LED alone. Good but not as good as I know it can be.

Didn't that use to be the cook & color RR/TGC recipe? Cook everything under halide for better growth and surviveability and then color up under LED to get top dollar when it's time to frag.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but with LED colors you get more for each frag I bet. I can't lie, with my halides on alone, I feel the same way about the level of color pop as I feel about the growth rate under LED alone. Good but not as good as I know it can be.

Didn't that use to be the cook & color RR/TGC recipe? Cook everything under halide for better growth and surviveability and then color up under LED to get top dollar when it's time to frag.
Anthony scrapped his whole MH setup and is only running orphek now. I’ve seen his system personally, I’m just giving him a hard time for his “logic” on swapping.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using two 400w ushio 14k in the round mini reflectors with electronic ballasts along with four or2 bars. Probably my favorite setup although I would rather the or2 bars have some white in two of the strips. I tried the daylight but the layout was bright on the ends and looked horrible.

I agree, it is VERY blue.
But this is good to know - thanks!

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school halide user here. 3 x 250watt Radiums with UVL Super Actinic t12's and 2 Kessil a160's for sunrise and sunset. Radiums are run in modified Hamilton cayman sun reflectors (installed adjustable sockets to center bulb in reflector) on m80 ballasts.

Standard 180 started November 2019. Turned lights on in January initially using an ATI 8 bulb Sunpower. Ran that until about a month ago when I put my old Halides back on. Missed the shimmer.

Trying numerous lighting types over the years on a few different tanks and this is what I've always gone back to.

Are there any other single ended bulbs left worth trying that would work on an m80 ballast? Not ready to buy all new ballasts yet.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also believe halide is the best light source for growing sps. But, for color and pop you won’t beat LED. Like it or not, the hobby and lighting venders are all moving toward LED. Halide will soon be so hard to find like VHO T12’s. Enjoy them while you can, eventually reefers will have to move on.

Meh. You're statement isn't true. Folks have been saying this for literally decades, and the end is nowhere in sight. There is no legislature in place, and none coming down the pike. Based on what I have read on several reef forums and feedback from vendors, there is a shift away from LED to halide or/and t5.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run 250 W Radiums but with ATI T5s and Reef Breeders actinics. Very happy with this set up and color looks great.

I initially had Hamilton 20K bulbs and honestly cannot tell a difference from the Radiums except the lower price.

Old school halide user here. 3 x 250watt Radiums with UVL Super Actinic t12's and 2 Kessil a160's for sunrise and sunset. Radiums are run in modified Hamilton cayman sun reflectors (installed adjustable sockets to center bulb in reflector) on m80 ballasts.

Standard 180 started November 2019. Turned lights on in January initially using an ATI 8 bulb Sunpower. Ran that until about a month ago when I put my old Halides back on. Missed the shimmer.

Trying numerous lighting types over the years on a few different tanks and this is what I've always gone back to.

Are there any other single ended bulbs left worth trying that would work on an m80 ballast? Not ready to buy all new ballasts yet.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my setup. I have 2 250W radiums and 6 Radion XR15s over my 180g 48x36x24 tank.

IMG_2518.JPG

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run 250 W Radiums but with ATI T5s and Reef Breeders actinics. Very happy with this set up and color looks great.

I initially had Hamilton 20K bulbs and honestly cannot tell a difference from the Radiums except the lower price.

I would assume a M80 250w Radium would put out a lot more PAR than the M58 20k Hamilton though. Just based on power usage alone.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently went back to halides after giving all LED a shot for a few years. I like a lot of the benifits of LED, and had a lot of success with them. Then I recently redid my frag system a few months ago and got a great deal on a reefbrite 2x250 pendant with the XHOs.

Once I put the radiums back on there with the pop from the XHOs I bought a whole new reefbrite rig for my display. I now have 3x250 reefbrite pendants and 2x 60 inch XHOs inside of an aquatic life 4x80 hybrid fixture.

I havent used halides since about 2011 and all I can say is wow. The difference is pretty remarkable in coral health. It has been a few months now and couldnt be happier going back.

IMG_20200717_191837_251.jpg

OP
OP
bobby.w.hodges

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently went back to halides after giving all LED a shot for a few years. I like a lot of the benifits of LED, and had a lot of success with them. Then I recently redid my frag system a few months ago and got a great deal on a reefbrite 2x250 pendant with the XHOs.

Once I put the radiums back on there with the pop from the XHOs I bought a whole new reefbrite rig for my display. I now have 3x250 reefbrite pendants and 2x 60 inch XHOs inside of an aquatic life 4x80 hybrid fixture.

I havent used halides since about 2011 and all I can say is wow. The difference is pretty remarkable in coral health. It has been a few months now and couldnt be happier going back.

IMG_20200717_191837_251.jpg
I'm assuming you got the 24" brackets for the hybrids, that's exactly what I want to do.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back