Back up battery options

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R, what’s the main different between a computer back unit vs an aquarium back up battery like the coral box pump extender? And what’s would you buy?

I am running two Jebaos SOW8 wavemakers.

thanks

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium back up batteries are often "plug and play". You are purchasing the design (e.g. vortech battery backups don't require any meaningful tinkering to work with a vortech pump).

You could absolutely use certain computer back up units or even make your own for a fraction of the aquarium backup batteries. Additional options include making your own to run off deep cycle batteries, generators, etc. In cases other than the aquarium backup batteries, it often involves following a tutorial from someone with electrial know how, your own know how, or additional steps to ensure comparability. For those that don't want that level of complexity or don't want to mess with electricity (a real risk if done haphazardly), aquarium backup batteries are a great choice!

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium back up batteries are often "plug and play". You are purchasing the design (e.g. vortech battery backups don't require any meaningful tinkering to work with a vortech pump).

You could absolutely use certain computer back up units or even make your own for a fraction of the aquarium backup batteries. Additional options include making your own to run off deep cycle batteries, generators, etc. In cases other than the aquarium backup batteries, it often involves following a tutorial from someone with electrial know how, your own know how, or additional steps to ensure comparability. For those that don't want that level of complexity or don't want to mess with electricity (a real risk if done haphazardly), aquarium backup batteries are a great choice!
Cool. I am running a computer back up on my 120 just hook up with a small powerhead and a heater. If powers go out, it will lasts roughly 8 hours. Now with my new set up I was wondering if one better another.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I would figure out which items you want to run off baterry and figure out their wattages- then you can determine what size battery you need for a particular time frame and base your decision from there.

If you do decide to go the DIY route, there are some fantastic write ups I've followed by some pretty smart cookies on how best to do this!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I am running a computer back up on my 120 just hook up with a small powerhead and a heater. If powers go out, it will lasts roughly 8 hours. Now with my new set up I was wondering if one better another.
Have you tested how long it lasts? Most of the issue with the computer backups is they have an inverter which kills the life. BRS did a lot of videos using these. I ultimately went ecotech just for plug and play.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I would figure out which items you want to run off baterry and figure out their wattages- then you can determine what size battery you need for a particular time frame and base your decision from there.

If you do decide to go the DIY route, there are some fantastic write ups I've followed by some pretty smart cookies on how best to do this!
Not going to DIY. I am torn between the pump extender or a computer back up. There’s no info on my jebao pumps how long it will last but I guess I will do some diggings.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested how long it lasts? Most of the issue with the computer backups is they have an inverter which kills the life. BRS did a lot of videos using these. I ultimately went ecotech just for plug and play.
Crossing my fingers, it’s been runnjng for little over a year now. Not going to jinx myself but usually my power outage won’t last more than 3-5 hours. I bought this town home about 7 years ago and it’s build on 2005.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I just bought to run my return pump and light. I have a small nano. The wattage of both will get me 3 1/2 hours from the battery. For longer we have a generator if I need it.

D2C4EB00-429C-41BD-8D68-CA8E98A02DE0.png

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 of those and they work perfectly. The audible alarm is nice in case power goes out at night. Gives an estimated run time based on current load. And having 10 plugs is a nice bonus.

darreljf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks new here and trying to get my head around battery back ups. Rather the hierarchy of equipment that need it. Initially I was imagining looking after everything but after some deduction and reading many posts removing reactors and skimmers from priority became obvious to me. I guessing for a fish only tank what you want covered are powerheads for water movement and gas exchange assuming the live rock etc in the DT can handle nitrification (and stop or reduce feeding) on its own for the shorter durations and then return pump for longer outages. I'm guessing some water moving option in a large sump is advisable too if not the return pump. After that heaters/chiller depending on the season.

For coral tank adding some amount of lighting to keep them happy.

is there more?

How is my thinking friends am I getting close?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My return pumps are combined 200 Watts, looking for UPS that will support 1 hour to 3 hours.

any good UPS suggestions?

Has anyone used this unit and knows howany minutes it give me for 200 Watts return pump?

CyberPower 1500VA / 900Watts True Sine Wave Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What isntotal wattage for your powerhead and heater and what are specs for your ups?

Its impressive if you get 8 hours of backup for 120 gallon tank ...

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What isntotal wattage for your powerhead and heater and what are specs for your ups?

Its impressive if you get 8 hours of backup for 120 gallon tank ...
Not really sure but one of those Hydor nano pump and a 150w heater I believe. Usually if I lose power, it should be around 3-5 hours max since all the power lines are under around.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in an older neighborhood with power lines that are on the poles, you better off getting a generator.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure but one of those Hydor nano pump and a 150w heater I believe. Usually if I lose power, it should be around 3-5 hours max since all the power lines are under around.
Not sure your climate but if you are somewhere warm I’d go with the heater unplugged to get more pump time

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the responses, what is the UPS model?

3 to 5 hours backup runtime for about 200w equipment is perfect..

I looked at this Cyberpower model and wondering if this is about similar to what you have ...

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses, what is the UPS model?

3 to 5 hours backup runtime for about 200w equipment is perfect..

I looked at this Cyberpower model and wondering if this is about similar to what you have ...

Mine is cyber power 1500

Back