Back up power generator, not gas operated

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about skimmers… do you run a co2 scrubber?

I do not, but I've got a good friend who does. I know a little, mainly the basics, but I don't personally actively use one.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not, but I've got a good friend who does. I know a little, mainly the basics, but I don't personally actively use one.
Would you happen to know how to plumb them into a octopus 110INT? The PH in the tank never goes above 8. Not sure how to implement it into it but I just ordered the “universal” one from brs but not quite sure how to install it since most videos I’ve seen are recirculating

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on the house upstate in New York in the hills and a lot of people in the area I’m looking at are all running solar so I think they should be able to do it, the only thing I’d probably have to do it chop down some trees since most houses are covered in them
I am an old guy and trust things with engines because I understand them and know how to fix them. Solar I understand conceptually but have never used.
I wonder how big one of those things linked above would be to equal a 32kw generator and be able to run for 5 days?

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an old guy and trust things with engines because I understand them and know how to fix them. Solar I understand conceptually but have never used.
I wonder how big one of those things linked above would be to equal a 32kw generator and be able to run for 5 days?
Not sure but my uncle works for Tesla and he swears by solar powering. He has 5 systems in his home and has never had a power outage or a problem running everything else in the house.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to know how to plumb them into a octopus 110INT? The PH in the tank never goes above 8. Not sure how to implement it into it but I just ordered the “universal” one from brs but not quite sure how to install it since most videos I’ve seen are recirculating

Screenshot_20220225-151247.png

I can't say from experience, but looking at this photo, you will want to plumb the "out" line of the scrubber into the pump. Remove this piece circled and the tubing If you don't have an adapter to connect the "out" to the tube already in place.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3500 w portable gen set until this year. Power was off 4 1/2 days and it was 20-30 degrees.
That was when we decided to get the whole house unit.

I run heaters, return pumps and a skimmer (plus phone charging, a freezer and floor lamp for the humans).

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't say from experience, but looking at this photo, you will want to plumb the "out" line of the scrubber into the pump. Remove this piece circled and the tubing If you don't have an adapter to connect the "out" to the tube already in place.
Where would the other line be attached to? Some people say to insert on top of skimmer lid but it worries me if something is in the tank that’ll make the skimmer go nuts and end up getting redirected into the media

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What type of tubing did BRS give you for the universal kit?

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but my uncle works for Tesla and he swears by solar powering. He has 5 systems in his home and has never had a power outage or a problem running everything else in the house.
Many people on here have those. I am sure they work. I have never seen one locally yet.
LOL The generator engine is bigger than the one in my car and turbocharged.

There was a time when solar homes used RV appliances that ran on 12 or 24 volts and were kind of an oddity.
That was before inverter technology though. I worked as an IT person with company that had a mainframe computer and the UPS was a room full of car batteries shelved 5 high. Lightning hit it one night. Big mess.

Times are changing. As they should.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would the other line be attached to? Some people say to insert on top of skimmer lid but it worries me if something is in the tank that’ll make the skimmer go nuts and end up getting redirected into the media

Just mount it inside the cabinet. My buddy runs his along the back side of his stand. His stand has a cutout at the back it's not totally enclosed.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3500 w portable gen set until this year. Power was off 4 1/2 days and it was 20-30 degrees.
That was when we decided to get the whole house unit.

I run heaters, return pumps and a skimmer (plus phone charging, a freezer and floor lamp for the humans).
Yikes, the power here hasn’t gone out for more than 2-3 hours and it’s happened once in 3 years.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mount it inside the cabinet. My buddy runs his along the back side of his stand. His stand has a cutout at the back it's not totally enclosed.
I had my stand custom made and have an opening on the back so I can always run it out that way, for some reason I thought they had to be plumbed back into the skimmer

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my stand custom made and have an opening on the back so I can always run it out that way, for some reason I thought they had to be plumbed back into the skimmer

No the intake could even be routed to outside if you wanted.

Mounting inside or on the back of the stand is what I would do if I set one up. Maybe someone has a reason to plumb it back to the skimmer? I guess it might save you some media since you would somewhat be recycling the same air minus whatever is exchanged.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the intake could even be routed to outside if you wanted.

Mounting inside or on the back of the stand is what I would do if I set one up. Maybe someone has a reason to plumb it back to the skimmer? I guess it might save you some media since you would somewhat be recycling the same air minus whatever is exchanged.
Ahh gotcha, thanks for all the help and advice!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/8 vinyl tubing

Is that the same as what the skimmer is?

If so you just route it to the same port on the pump as the current tubing. If not you'll need some type of adapter.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same as what the skimmer is?

If so you just route it to the same port on the pump as the current tubing. If not you'll need some type of adapter.
Yes same size, just going to run it to back other tank since it’s the only aired portion of the stand

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought about this. I wanted to get a 100AH lipo battery. That can easily run my dc pumps for over a week. As far as heating... that is the biggest problem. What i did during the ice storm in Texas for my tanks was to take the water out of the tank and heat it on the stove. Then add it back to the aquarium. My house has gas for heating and cooking, so I was ok. I was constantly taking water out, heating it, then add it back to the aquarium. At the end I was so tired, i would actually boil the water then add it back to the aquarium. I can tell you the inhabitants came to life when i did that. My house was at 40F. All the water in the house stopped running.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought about this. I wanted to get a 100AH lipo battery. That can easily run my dc pumps for over a week. As far as heating... that is the biggest problem. What i did during the ice storm in Texas for my tanks was to take the water out of the tank and heat it on the stove. Then add it back to the aquarium. My house has gas for heating and cooking, so I was ok. I was constantly taking water out, heating it, then add it back to the aquarium. At the end I was so tired, i would actually boil the water then add it back to the aquarium. I can tell you the inhabitants came to life when i did that. My house was at 40F. All the water in the house stopped running.
I’ve heard so many power outages in other states and sounds like a real nightmare. I wouldn’t be able to sleep with the level of anxiety with the tanks. Luckily New York City has one of the best electricity systems and we don’t really get any natural disasters.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back