Back up power generator, not gas operated

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the tittle states I am looking for a back up power generator just in case my power goes out which it has in the past and I was able to keep the wave-maker and return pump running since I have a eco-tech back up battery for those two but that won’t work for the summer time.
Gas operated generators usually have to be run consistently and have to keep gas on hand which I don’t want to do, therefore I want something that’s rechargeable, solar powered a plus!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the tittle states I am looking for a back up power generator just in case my power goes out which it has in the past and I was able to keep the wave-maker and return pump running since I have a eco-tech back up battery for those two but that won’t work for the summer time.
Gas operated generators usually have to be run consistently and have to keep gas on hand which I don’t want to do, therefore I want something that’s rechargeable, solar powered a plus!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You could get a dual fuel and use LPG or even natural gas.

Or are those not an option either? It sounded like you wanted something not gasoline powered?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these camp style ones.

They have multiple ways to charge, and different wattage hours.

Another option would be a marine battery/inverter.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generators make electricity from a fuel like gas, propane stored in tanks or natural gas piped to the home.

Solar would be a charger for a battery bank. A much larger version of your EcoTech backup batteries that works the same way.
Or you can charge a battery bank from your electric supply when it is on. The bigger a bank of batteries the longer it will last.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these camp style ones.

They have multiple ways to charge, and different wattage hours.

Another option would be a marine battery/inverter.
You think this would be able to run the tank for a day or so?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery back would work on short power outages, but for an out that could last for Dayton even a week or more a generator is best.
I live in south Louisiana and it not uncommon for power to be out for a week or longer after a hurricane, I have a portable generator connected to our breaker box , I can start the generator on , switch the breaker for generator and power all my lights, refrigerators , tanks and 1 AC unit. The biggest drawback is gas, having to get gas everyday to keep it running. But it’s beats losing food and living in the dark.
Now if there was a solar powered battery pack that could keep up that would be great.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generators make electricity from a fuel like gas, propane stored in tanks or natural gas piped to the home.

Solar would be a charger for a battery bank. A much larger version of your EcoTech backup batteries that works the same way.
Or you can charge a battery bank from your electric supply when it is on. The bigger a bank of batteries the longer it will last.
Do you think something like this would work?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think this would be able to run the tank for a day or so?
I don’t know how long it would last or if solar would be able to keep up. If you live in an area where you don’t experience extended list of service it may work

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery back would work on short power outages, but for an out that could last for Dayton even a week or more a generator is best.
I live in south Louisiana and it not uncommon for power to be out for a week or longer after a hurricane, I have a portable generator connected to our breaker box , I can start the generator on , switch the breaker for generator and power all my lights, refrigerators , tanks and 1 AC unit. The biggest drawback is gas, having to get gas everyday to keep it running. But it’s beats losing food and living in the dark.
Now if there was a solar powered battery pack that could keep up that would be great.
I live in New York so the power rarely goes out for longer than a couple of hours, that’s why I also don’t want to get a gas powered one cause I know it’ll just be a haste

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not available by me yet. Although idk if I want to spend 40k on something that’s going to be a back up

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in New York so the power rarely goes out for longer than a couple of hours, that’s why I also don’t want to get a gas powered one cause I know it’ll just be a haste
I don't even get my generator out till powers been out for a couple of hours so I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even get my generator out till powers been out for a couple of hours so I wouldn't worry about it.
Do you think these are something that could work for a couple of hours?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think these are something that could work for a couple of hours?

These and similar things will be more than capable for a few hours. How much are you trying to power, just wave maker?

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These and similar things will be more than capable for a few hours. How much are you trying to power, just wave maker?
A kessil a360x the heater, skimmer and my uv. The wave maker and return pump are already backed up by the ecotech back up batter

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kessil a360x the heater, skimmer and my uv. The wave maker and return pump are already backed up by the ecotech back up batter

Maybe? Never used the Duracell so it might be capable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back