Back up power generator, not gas operated

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install a tesla powerwall can be an ultimate solution. It really depends on how much you're willing to pay. Since you don't want any kinds of fuel, you are only left with battery based solutions. The more you can spend in it, the bigger battery you can get, and the longer it will run. The balance between cost and value, only you can answer.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the tittle states I am looking for a back up power generator just in case my power goes out which it has in the past and I was able to keep the wave-maker and return pump running since I have a eco-tech back up battery for those two but that won’t work for the summer time.
Gas operated generators usually have to be run consistently and have to keep gas on hand which I don’t want to do, therefore I want something that’s rechargeable, solar powered a plus!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
whole house or jusst tank? big power systems could maybe keep your tank running for even a few days or longer. What size tank?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, don't have time to read the whole thread (heading out to run some errands) but, depending how big you want to go ... e.g. if you want to power other things in your home too ... might be worth looking at these...

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, don't have time to read the whole thread (heading out to run some errands) but, depending how big you want to go ... e.g. if you want to power other things in your home too ... might be worth looking at these...

Wow these are legit. Might consider getting one since they won’t break the bank and also really high wattage storage.

sayurasem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reefers uses portable power stations to back up their reefs? I’m currently on a same boat looking for back up power for my reef tank. I’m hoping if any reefers has experience with these batteries.

From my research brands like Jackery, Ecoflow, and Anker has good power stations.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a Goal Zero and solar panels. I have Ecotech battery backups for both mp10s already. The power was out for 12 hrs. , temp dropped, corals we’re ok but I don’t want to chance it since it’s all highend coral and I added more. Strange part is the battery backups fir mp10s didn’t work. I replaced both wet sides and since they work fine. Go figure. I ended up using Airstones to keep things going. I’ll be ready next time.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a Goal Zero and solar panels. I have Ecotech battery backups for both mp10s already. The power was out for 12 hrs. , temp dropped, corals we’re ok but I don’t want to chance it since it’s all highend coral and I added more. Strange part is the battery backups fir mp10s didn’t work. I replaced both wet sides and since they work fine. Go figure. I ended up using Airstones to keep things going. I’ll be ready next time.

Batteries for the MP10s were probably dead. It's like that with all battery backups. You don't know until the power goes out and they die instantly or within seconds. Ideally, we would all do runtime tests (simulated power outages) regularly.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Batteries for the MP10s were probably dead. It's like that with all battery backups. You don't know until the power goes out and they die instantly or within seconds. Ideally, we would all do runtime tests (simulated power outages) regularly.
No, they show full lights all the way to right on pumps, showing how much battery you have left. They work flawlessly now. Haven’t changed anything but the wet sides.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do check them weekly, since I turn power off to everything to feed coral and have to pull the battery backup wires from the pumps or they take over.

Back