Back with another stupid question….

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last weekend after I did my water changes life got crazy & I left my hoses out with water in them, about 40 feet of python drain hose is what we are dealing with. Well tonight I was getting ready for tomorrows fish chores when I realized it, how do I clean something that long…. I tired running hot and cold water through it but it didn’t remove what ever is growing in it, some green, brown and black funk. It’s just a drain hose so it won’t hurt anything but I’d still like to clean it up. Ideas, thoughts….. bleach maybe?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar dissolves calcium; bleach dissolves organics (algae).

Have a large bin/bucket?

Attach a pump with the hose and put both inlet and outlet inside the bin with bleach. Let it run for a few hours. Dump bleach water out and refill with fresh tap and overdose prime/chlorine remover.

OP
OP
rcillig

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a ton, guys. I first tried vinegar & critric acid but nothing. Got bleach running now, I can already see it working. I have different fill and drain hoses and this one is just a drain but still, I like to keep things clean. So this looks like it going to work.
The only stupid question when it comes to reef keeping is the one you don't ask. So much money and time goes into these tanks, its ok to ask question just to make sure
Yes, this is very true, when I first started I was too shy of asking things I felt were dumb and honestly I hate to admit it but I killed more corals and fish because I didn't want to come off as stupid, unknowledgeable, or misinformed. So now I ask a ton of very basic or simple questions just to make sure.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar dissolves calcium; bleach dissolves organics (algae).

Have a large bin/bucket?

Attach a pump with the hose and put both inlet and outlet inside the bin with bleach. Let it run for a few hours. Dump bleach water out and refill with fresh tap and overdose prime/chlorine remover.
Vinegar or citric acid loosens up and removes organics . That’s why it’s widley used to clean skimmers . I personally would keep chlorine bleach as far from my equipment as possible . Soft Plastic tubing can absorb chlorine bleach and if it were to be used for other than a drain tube which I’ve done many times , could leach that chlorine into your tank . You can also tie a nut to fishing line on one end and the other a piece of wet cloth and run it thru a few times .

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bleach on socks and moldy tubes plenty of time after rinsing and a couple days the bleach is inactive dont quote me tho but I do it let me know if I should stop...

Back