BackGrounds

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people either paint the background a single color or use some type of prefabricated background that you tape/glue to the outside of the back wall. Most popular colors are blue and black. Rarely will you see a reef tank with one of those "reef" backgrounds.

There are some clever and experimental ways to do a background, like shadow boxes and other tricks to make the tank look deeper than it really is.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have also used pond foam to create walls or used the magnetic shelves as well.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinyl from the sign shops for my background. Easy to put on, no bubbles, won't flake or dull, and looks good.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using a product that made the back essentially a mirror. Its a multiple coat deal tho. Origionally i just had a black back.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using a product that made the back essentially a mirror. Its a multiple coat deal tho. Origionally i just had a black back.

Do you have any tangs?

OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what im looking for is a blue background and yes i do have tangs
the tank is 60" x 36" x 24".
it needs to be removable.
with the vinyl can you make it removable.
i thought of using acrylic,i not sure on how to keep it attached at the top as the tank is eurobraced

vic

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DrsFosterSmith has vinyl ones that you'd use tape/glue or attach it and they are removable. I went this route mainly because I didn't do my background before the tank was setup, and moving a 220 full of water isn't something thats possible. haha.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what im looking for is a blue background and yes i do have tangs
the tank is 60" x 36" x 24".
it needs to be removable.
with the vinyl can you make it removable.
i thought of using acrylic,i not sure on how to keep it attached at the top as the tank is eurobraced

vic

Stay away from the vinyl then. You can only remove it with a razor blade. I would go with the acrylic. Can you make small hooks on the top of the tank to hold it in place?

rjbesch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a type of vinyl that is easier to remove that what is most commonly used on vehicles and outdoor signs. Try Oracal 631 vinyl, that is made to apply to walls and be easily removed if you want to go the route of vinyl. With that particular type, you should be able to easily peel it right off, maybe having to clean a little residue afterwards but should't be strenuous. I just made a background using vinyl for my nephew for a 10 gallon freshwater tank. I used white sign vinyl, with a Clemson University Tiger Paw in the middle. I will dig some pics up and post in a little while.

summitwynds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a graphic designer and have a printing company. The background on mine is actually 2 pieces, but I can do any size, any color. This is a printed on paper and mounted 3/16" foamboard, then I taped it onto the back of the tank. its a gradient... darker on the bottom, lighter at the top. It can also be mounted on 3/16" gator board (vinyl instead of paper) - I can take it off and change it anytime I want. Thinking I might go darker, or try black.

photo3.jpg

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people use cheap DIY window tinting found at most Walmarts etc. It's fairly easy to put on and if you ever sell the tank or change your mind you can take it off. It looked much better than your standard backgrounds found in rolls at the LFS because there were no bubbles. Just a thought ;)

OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a graphic designer and have a printing company. The background on mine is actually 2 pieces, but I can do any size, any color. This is a printed on paper and mounted 3/16" foamboard, then I taped it onto the back of the tank. its a gradient... darker on the bottom, lighter at the top. It can also be mounted on 3/16" gator board (vinyl instead of paper) - I can take it off and change it anytime I want. Thinking I might go darker, or try black.

photo3.jpg

thats beutiful

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree love the whole setup summitwynds, great look.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.3%
Back