Bacteria in a bottle, Myth or Fact

Which bottle bacteria in your personal experience worked for you in a sterile tank.

• Total voters

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand - When I first started - at the recommendation of an LFS - on day 1 they sold me - 2 clown fish, a tank, an anemone, an incandescent light, an under gravel filter gravel and a heater - some salt - and said 'it will all work out'. Funny thing is - for 2 days it worked great - the anemone was wide open - the fish were in it. On day 3 (when I assume ammonia had built up - the anemone looked like a wet thimble - and the fish were dead overnight. The LFS said 'huh'?

Mine was a 10g tank, some salt, a heater and a damsel. "The damsel cycle". Miraculously the damsel survived. Poor damsel.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wal mart sells tetra bac ive used in my column tank freshwater when it had fake decorations, it worked great

took about ten days then the clouding broke from a few ghost feedings and never came back, water changed, cycled. The bottle also says does freshwater and marine, one bottle, adapts to totally opposite systems that is pretty neat bacterial mix for the common wal mart.

they may be pulling off something the others don’t do (euryhaline adapt) and at ten days that’s no slouch on time/ speed of adjust its in line with all the rest. six bucks

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's for a fishless cycle. I lowered my salinity and raised my temp as he instructed and dosed 2ppm ammonium chloride. Still took me 6 weeks to fully cycle my tank. Started my tank on Christmas day. I am now just getting to the point where Nitrites are undetectable and my Ammonia dose is consumed within 12 hours. Somewhat disappointed it took that long. On the positive side, my first couple of fish won't have to endure elevated ammonia levels.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's for a fishless cycle. I lowered my salinity and raised my temp as he instructed and dosed 2ppm ammonium chloride. Still took me 6 weeks to fully cycle my tank. Started my tank on Christmas day. I am now just getting to the point where Nitrites are undetectable and my Ammonia dose is consumed within 12 hours. Somewhat disappointed it took that long. On the positive side, my first couple of fish won't have to endure elevated ammonia levels.
Why are you disappointed? isn't this how long this method is supposed to take?

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you disappointed? isn't this how long this method is supposed to take?
I think the instructions say the "fishless" is 10 - 14 days. I thought I saw something on the website (can't find it ATM) that said you could add fish at/after day nine assuming your parameters are on glideslope.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the instructions say the "fishless" is 10 - 14 days. I thought I saw something on the website (can't find it ATM) that said you could add fish at/after day nine assuming your parameters are on glideslope.
I have never used that system - but I have researched it quite a bit - most of the time (to me) - it seems is that the 'delay' is an issue with testing - rather than the tank. No offense to Dr. Tim. I do not believe in that method.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you review Dr. Tim's video on using his product, he indicates days...not weeks. Again, I am patient but could have gotten these results with cheaper methods...Like adding a piece of shrimp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you review Dr. Tim's video on using his product, he indicates days...not weeks. Again, I am patient but could have gotten these results with cheaper methods...Like adding a piece of shrimp.
I believe your testing is somehow inaccurate (I would double check it) - I would also make sure that you added the proper (i.e. not too high) amount of ammonia - as this can markedly slow down the bacteria.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - since these are the instructions for Dr. Tim's One and Only: "One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria is the latest mixture of nitrifying bacteria by Dr Timothy Hovanec. There are formulations available for freshwater aquaria, saltwater aquaria, reef, nano, and seahorse aquaria, and koi ponds and water gardens. One & Only will quickly establish a functioning biological filter in your aquarium, allowing you to immediately add fish to your tank." = I question why one wants to go through a several day (or longer if done incorrectly) - process to cycle a tank?

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all products recommend dosing bacteria and placing a few small fish in the tank. Which to me indicates instant cycle.
The way I tested these bacteria is not the method they recommend but infact my way of checking if done the normal way of cycling by placing ammonia and watching it drop to 0.
I have tested many of these products in the manner they recommend. I setup a tank, dose bacteria and place a pair of clowns or chromis in and monitoring with seneye,.never see increase in ammonia.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most all products recommend dosing bacteria and placing a few small fish in the tank. Which to me indicates instant cycle.
The way I tested these bacteria is not the method they recommend but infact my way of checking if done the normal way of cycling by placing ammonia and watching it drop to 0.
I have tested many of these products in the manner they recommend. I setup a tank, dose bacteria and place a pair of clowns or chromis in a d monitoring with seneye,.never see increase in ammonia.
Right - I never understood the rationale (except to sell ammonia test kits and ammonia - which shouldn't be expensive) - for a cycle as described (i.e. dosing ammonia). I have completely ripped down my tank - got a new one - added new rock (and sterile) sand - added bacteria and then added my fish (I mean my full complement of fish) that was in the tank before - and had no issues.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your testing is somehow inaccurate (I would double check it) - I would also make sure that you added the proper (i.e. not too high) amount of ammonia - as this can markedly slow down the bacteria.
Yes, double checked my results daily. I actually underdosed and started slowly to build up to 2 ppm as instructed. It may work for others but for me it did not go well. $40 later with no better results than adding fish or a piece of rotting shrimp.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in the bottle? Take it to a lab and let it be examined for types and living strains of bacteria . Discussion closed. The rest is based on sensory experience or believe (empirical evidence), it is difficult to prove. There is nothing wrong by adding these bacterial supplements if it is known what is in it. One does support the business which in this case may be the most important issue.

Wow, what a thread. I'm only on page 8. I hope hope hope someone did this and the question gets answered somewhere in the next 86 pages.....

This thread needs its own search engine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, what a thread. I'm only on page 8. I hope hope hope someone did this and the question gets answered somewhere in the next 86 pages.....

This thread needs its own search engine.
FYI - you can search the thread itself using the search option:).... for whatever keywords you want to look for...the answer has also been added to the very first post in the thread (final review) - and I believe the study is described on page 1 post 3.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, double checked my results daily. I actually underdosed and started slowly to build up to 2 ppm as instructed. It may work for others but for me it did not go well. $40 later with no better results than adding fish or a piece of rotting shrimp.
I am not trying to be snarky - just to make sure - does this mean you didn't follow the instructions? I only ask this because - the way this product seems to be designed - I would wonder if 'day 1' of your cycle is really the day you got up to 2 ppm? IMHO - with all of these products (any additive) - its best to follow the instructions completely - and believe me I've learned this the hard way. I hope your tank is a great success now that this is behind you

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - you can search the thread itself using the search option:).... for whatever keywords you want to look for...the answer has also been added to the very first post in the thread (final review) - and I believe the study is described on page 1 post 3.
Thanks!
What I was specifically referring to in my comment about hoping somebody does this, is the lab analysis defining exactly which bacteria were present in each bottle. I’ll have a look through the rest of the thread to see.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!
What I was specifically referring to in my comment about hoping somebody does this, is the lab analysis defining exactly which bacteria were present in each bottle. I’ll have a look through the rest of the thread to see.
No - the testing was merely the ability to remove ammonia. Several of the products did not work unless a carbon source was added as well. The Fritz products seemed to work with only ammonia added. (Maybe another one also) - suggesting it contained the common 'nitrifying bacteria'. The others seemed to require addition of a carbon source (like fish food) - suggesting more common bacteria that can also remove ammonia.

The Fritz products have a limited shelf life and are shipped 'cold' (because nitrifying bacteria will die if not stored properly) - the other products come off the shelf (and likely contained hardier bacteria)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back