Bacterial Infection: Empty tank: When is it safe?

From the description I suspect a parasite outbreak, perhaps Uronema. External parasites can lead to secondary infection from bacteria, fungus, virus, etc.

Since you don’t know, I would let the tank lay fallow for at least a month. I think a UV can help, if properly used. It won’t cure a sick fish, but it will control or prevent an outbreak.

Best practice is to quarantine any new fish, or treat them prophylactically to prevent introducing disease to the main display. These require separate tanks.

You also mention an ‘explosion of copepods’. Is there macro algae in the system? If not, what do they feed on?

Here’s one reference on parasites to look over-

https://reefs.com/magazine/identify...ifying-some-common-marine-aquarium-parasites/
idk what they are eating I have no macro algae. just live rock, corals, a sea hair, and a cleaner shrimp
 
The reason I asked is, large pod populations require significant food sources.

If you are feeding a lot, water quality ‘may’ become a problem and/or possibly encourage pathogens/disease.

Just wondering what your alkalinity, nitrate & phosphate levels might be?
 
The reason I asked is, large pod populations require significant food sources.

If you are feeding a lot, water quality ‘may’ become a problem and/or possibly encourage pathogens/disease.

Just wondering what your alkalinity, nitrate & phosphate levels might be?

see im not feeding at all. I have no fish. I feed my sea hare in a separate "bowl" cause he struggles to get sea weed otherwise. I only reef roid my corals once a week and phosphate RX right after, so I truly don't know what they're eating other than my normal brown algae. Here are parameters

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 8
Phosphates: 0.04
My alkalinity checker broke so that I don't know
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new