Bacterial Infection? (weird coloring on fin)

RedJourney143

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently have been having a nitrate problem and I told my mother that mangroves could help. She took it upon herself to pick up some seeds from our local lagoon and put them in my reef tank without washing them. I was a little angry, but decided that if anything bad was going to happen, the harm was already done. So, I left them in. A couple days later my Royal Gramma does not show up for feeding time. The next morning I find the Gramma dead with weird discoloration on the rear fin. Now I have noticed slight discoloration on my firefish in the exact same spot. Is it possible this bacteria came from the mangroves, and if so should I take them out? Or was it the high nitrates that caused whatever happened to happen? And what should I medicate the water with?

Edit: Also the zoo where I volunteer has a similar problem with their fish but on the top fin, and I often put my hands in the tank that they live in, but I always wash my hands before putting them in my own tank.

Fishdead.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new