Bacterial infections

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just lost an orange shoulder tang during its QT due to multiple bacterial infections. At first, its mouth was injured for a few days, then ich started to kick in but I sorted it out with copper. The fish was still active and eating during the time but in the last 48hrs, it showed severe brown and white patches like the picture and died. Can you identify what kinds of bacterial infection I have here and how to prevent them in the future?
Many thanks

2FD8667C-07C8-40A3-B69B-F3CB02EB5981.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Copper can be harsh with tangs. Best to use coppersafe and maintain at 2.25-2.5ppm
How were you monitoring copper level?
For bacteria… hard to tell with carcass but Seachem kanaplex/metro combination or Maracyn 2 would have helped.
Good water quality and diet are eassential with tangs

OP
OP
JosephNg

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can be harsh with tangs. Best to use coppersafe and maintain at 2.25-2.5ppm
How were you monitoring copper level?
For bacteria… hard to tell with carcass but Seachem kanaplex/metro combination or Maracyn 2 would have helped.
Good water quality and diet are eassential with tangs
Unfortunately, I did not have my copper monitored, I dosed the same amount that was successful with a blue tang before.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately, I did not have my copper monitored, I dosed the same amount that was successful with a blue tang before.
You probably know this But copper MUST BE monitored as it can be lethal

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just lost an orange shoulder tang during its QT due to multiple bacterial infections. At first, its mouth was injured for a few days, then ich started to kick in but I sorted it out with copper. The fish was still active and eating during the time but in the last 48hrs, it showed severe brown and white patches like the picture and died. Can you identify what kinds of bacterial infection I have here and how to prevent them in the future?
Many thanks

2FD8667C-07C8-40A3-B69B-F3CB02EB5981.jpeg
There’s no sign of an infection, I have a feeling it was copper getting too high though. Copper can be harsh on MANY fish which is why I’d recommend trying to avoid medication with copper unless it’s truly needed. If it was up to me, next time I wouldn’t dose anything instantly until I saw something appear, depending on what it is I would dose the right medication. Over here we don’t get many things to work with when it comes to QT so our only option is to either let the LFS do QT, risk it (This is what I do, yes my LFS does copper but I have fish that are highly sensitive to it so I prefer to get them before they do copper dosing or before it’s too late), or TTM. Most of our medication had Cu in it which I don’t personally like (Hence why I don’t QT but I will always watch a fish for the first few weeks of being in my tank).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back