Bad DI Resin?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jon Malkerson @Eldredge were you ever able to resolve this? I ask as I just had a very unusual experience. I swapped out standard mixed resin for the 3 part pro. Now both soda ash and calcium chloride do not dissolve in the output. They dissolve just fine in water prior to the DI resin and straight from the tap (well water). Could be that my resin is too old and will find out when the fresh batches arrive. Never experienced anything like this. Does anyone think this has anything to do with channeling or inadequate rinsing? Something seems way off and there must be a reason... just haven't found one yet...

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your mixed bed is old but not depleted it could be letting stuff loose. Just replaced an uncolored pro mixed bed that was about 6 months old because it was either letting silicates pass through, or producing it. Find it hard to believe silicates are getting by 3 anion cartridges and a fresh mixed bed to that final mixed bed so my guess is that it's just old.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI resin is 3 unopened packs of BRS Pro stages 1, 2, &3. The stage 3 is the newest and it has been less than 6 months since I purchased it. The others, although unopened, are older, though I forget when I bought them. I know the foil bags are intended to keep them fresh for 2 years, though do not know the consequences if it is older than that. I tried the Stage 3 Pro mixed resin by itself too, though the same issue occurs, so that would eliminate that the other two were the issue. Maybe the other two (Stage 1 &2) were too old and you have to use Stage 3 in conjunction with them. Does anyone know?

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Jon Malkerson @Eldredge were you ever able to resolve this? I ask as I just had a very unusual experience. I swapped out standard mixed resin for the 3 part pro. Now both soda ash and calcium chloride do not dissolve in the output. They dissolve just fine in water prior to the DI resin and straight from the tap (well water). Could be that my resin is too old and will find out when the fresh batches arrive. Never experienced anything like this. Does anyone think this has anything to do with channeling or inadequate rinsing? Something seems way off and there must be a reason... just haven't found one yet...

Actually, I just started flushing the resin each time before I use it. The cation starts out around 80 and I flush it until it gets down to about 12-14. I don't seem to really use any cation, so I have debated about dropping it. The anion starts out high (I think about 40-50 if I remember correctly), and I flush it until it gets down to 1-2. Sometimes the mixed bed starts at 1 and then drops to 0. When I had my original problem, I was using a lot of mixed bed, now I use very little. To be honest, I don't really understand what causes all of this...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back