Bad egg clownfish

carnthetiges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keen to get some thoughts if my clownfish is Damien incarnate.
The tank is a 6 month old 15g AIO.
We started off with two ocellaris, the larger of two after a few months turned very quickly and killed the smaller.

I've since added a royal dottyback (gramma's quite expensive down my way) whilst they've gotten on the clown is still the boss.
Noticed a chunk missing from the dottybacks tail the other day, the clown lip-locked it today at feeding time (maybe 2-3 months being together).

Based on the above is the clown likely to be an butt to anything that's added moving forward?
I'd love to add a third fish, a smaller bottom dweller like a goby but worry the clown will dominate anything that's shy.
Any suggestions on a reef safe tankmate? Half thinking a falco hawk or something that could stick up for itself?

Cheers

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started off with two ocellaris, the larger of two after a few months turned very quickly and killed the smaller.

I've since added a royal dottyback (gramma's quite expensive down my way) whilst they've gotten on the clown is still the boss.
Noticed a chunk missing from the dottybacks tail the other day, the clown lip-locked it today at feeding time (maybe 2-3 months being together).

Based on the above is the clown likely to be an butt to anything that's added moving forward?
I'd love to add a third fish, a smaller bottom dweller like a goby but worry the clown will dominate anything that's shy.
Any suggestions on a reef safe tankmate? Half thinking a falco hawk or something that could stick up for itself?

Cheers
Not a lot of room in a 15g for everyone to have they space that they want. If you Clown is truly that aggressive, you're likely to have the same issue with anything you add. Upgrade to a larger space or swap out the rogue clown at your LFS.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
If you'd like to add a goby, a diamond should do fine. Especially one on the larger side - dig a burrow in the sand for the goby under a rock, a place a clown wont and cant typically go. This should allow him safety, regardless of the clown's temperament.
Edit sorry a diamond really shouldn't be in a 15 long term, but any smaller bottom dwelling sand goby should do fine with the same treatment.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
Yeah sounds like a pretty aggressive clownfish. Unfortunately not that uncommon for clownfish. They are generally aggressive lil' buggers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back