Baffle Order In Sump

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to just get everything figured out before I start putting together my sump. I have a 29 gallon and am planning on getting a kit for it similar to the Fiji Cube kit. It will have 4 chambers, one for the filter socks, one for the skimmer, one for biomedia/Chaeto, and one for a return pump. Both kits I'm looking at have a built-in bubble trap. Usually that is set at the end of the 3rd chamber-start of the 4th chamber, and that is the one that has the adjustable gate. I am assuming that gate is to control the water level in the chamber with the skimmer. To me it would make more sense to have the skimmer in the 2nd chamber (with the gate/bubble trap following) and then the 3rd chamber as the biomedia/Chaeto chamber, so pods do not get sucked up into the collection cup. All of the ones I see online though have the gated chamber as the 3rd chamber. Should I just move the gate over to be the end of the 2nd chamber (where the skimmer will be, before the Chaeto chamber) so it is the end of my skimmer chamber, and have the 3rd chamber just end with a "regular" baffle? I don't want to lose pods to the skimmer, but everywhere I see it online it is set up with the bubble trap as the last baffle before the return pump chamber. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back