Balcony tropical diy build

stefanm

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2017
Messages
360
Reaction score
394
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my build back in December 2016, it was actually a Christmas present for my daughter, was supposed to be ready last July for her birthday.

I made a lot of changes throughout, finally it's up and running.

The tank was made by a local LFS, the tank was supposed to be in our living room, my wife thought it was too big, that argument was actually a blessing in disguise, after a few beers I got the tape measure out and the dimensions were sweet for my balcony.

A little more thought and the sump design was changed, the sump(s) are now in the garden, so my display is approx 85 gallons and sumps 60 gallons.

Delays, lots of them, I had a bad year last year, so everything on hold other than small works.

We have very frequent power outages here, so one of the main things was to get a battery backup and a ups inverter, that cost almost as much as my diy LED's which can pump out close to 300 watts. Another big expense was a chiller, which was made from an old window shaker a.c. and a titanium coil which I vaguely designed, works superbly so far!

Pictures and a timeline to follow soon...
 
How it looks now, I'm going to do this backwards...
IMG-20180502-WA0014.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new