Ball anemone

Nicksal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I bought a few frags and noticed that two of them had a few ball anemones on them. Should I get rid of them or keep them? Will they be a pest? Please let me know.

20211205_192811.jpg 20211205_192732.jpg 20211205_192731.jpg 20211205_192708.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never heard of them being an issue. I have 1. And its hidding from my cbb. It's only a matter of time until it becomes dinner

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I bought a few frags and noticed that two of them had a few ball anemones on them. Should I get rid of them or keep them? Will they be a pest? Please let me know.

20211205_192811.jpg 20211205_192732.jpg 20211205_192731.jpg 20211205_192708.jpg
I think they are a issue. They eat you snails snd other CUC. They multiply heavily in my tank. I’ve introduced a Aiptasia eating Filefish to see if he finds them tasty

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep... they are actually a mushroom and not a nem. I think they look cool.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unlike aptasia and Majano, I had one 2 years ago and it remained, had nice color and only one more ever emerged. They remain small and here is a puzzling fact as others stated they are a good anemone. Anemone ???
Ball Anemones are actually not anemones at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused by too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name

Last edited:

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike aptasia and Majano, I had one 2 years ago and it remained, had nice color and only one more ever emerged. They remain small and here is a puzzling fact as others stated they are a good anemone. Anemone ???
Ball Anemones are actually not anemones at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name
I’ve read it’s a hybrid between a mushroom and anemone. I’ve seen lots of small babies. I’ve introduced a few things I hope snacks on them. I’ve witnessed it eating a bristle worm! It was cool but never thought I’d see a bristle worm halfway out and halfway in a ball anemone. Disk was clear so you could see the worm on the inside on the anemone. Lots of snail shells pile up next to them and they keep them from moving across certain rocks. I’m not stressing about them but it would be impossible to remove them all manually. I only have them in one of my tanks and have managed to keep it that way.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also found in darker area of the tanks. Like others said they won't become a problem.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also found in darker area of the tanks. Like others said they won't become a problem.
They are in the lower half but have migrated/multiplied across the bottom. They haven’t reached the other side of tank yet. Hopeful they are starting to lower in numbers.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read it’s a hybrid between a mushroom and anemone. I’ve seen lots of small babies. I’ve introduced a few things I hope snacks on them. I’ve witnessed it eating a bristle worm! It was cool but never thought I’d see a bristle worm halfway out and halfway in a ball anemone. Disk was clear so you could see the worm on the inside on the anemone. Lots of snail shells pile up next to them and they keep them from moving across certain rocks. I’m not stressing about them but it would be impossible to remove them all manually. I only have them in one of my tanks and have managed to keep it that way.

Many corals eat bristle worms too and my plate coral eats small snails.

Yum!

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many corals eat bristle worms too and my plate coral eats small snails.

Yum!
But those aren’t close to being invasive and ball anemones aren’t considered to be a prized anemone/mush. Just reporting what I’m dealing with and it’s not fun. Not the worst thing either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If theres' a need to remove, place an ice cube on it and it will release

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball Anemones are actually not anemones at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name
Mine multiply at a pretty good pace, I have about 2 dozen or so. They are in darker areas, which I don't mind, because they do tend to give off a glow that can light up a dark area. I personally like them and haven't run into an issue yet.
IMG_20211205_213546.jpg
IMG_20211205_213447.jpg
IMG_20211205_213439.jpg
IMG_20211205_213432.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back