ballast performance?

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 of these ballasts free and am running 2-250 watt Phoenix HQIs on them. They seem to work fine but I don't have a par meter. Will this spec sheet tell one of you gurus anything about the performance of this ballast?
http://ultballastspecs.unvlt.com/pd.../1110246CTC.pdf

What specs do you look for when judging a ballast's performance?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Schminks! Welcome to R2R first off!

Looking at the specs on that ballast, it seems OK. I compare the input wattage, 295, to the output wattage (about 250 right?), then compare the start up amperage to the constant draw. Those numbers should be close to each other, and they are.

I think this looks similar to the old IceCap eBallast.

OP
OP
schminksbro

schminksbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike! I'll have to get you over again so you can tell me what I am doing wrong. lol I have a new tank up since the last time you were here.

OP
OP
schminksbro

schminksbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen that forum. Thanks Mike. I thought that I had read the whole internet! LOL

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I think a new fish forum pops up every other day! SanJay used to have his own website, it was not attached to a forum, but at least the information is still around.

There is a cool thread over there on DIY LED's that I was reading though, you may want to check that out too.

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very surprised that those ballasts actually fire the Phoenix bulb. Those ballasts are a standard M58 probe start ballast, while the DE bulb should need a Pulse start ballast (I think M80 or M135 are pulse start magnetic ballasts).

But those are basicly the same as what you would find in the PFO 250 watt normal ballast.

Kim

OP
OP
schminksbro

schminksbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fire fine I just have no idea what my par is in the lower half of my tank. I do however have acros growing at varied depths.

I am very surprised that those ballasts actually fire the Phoenix bulb. Those ballasts are a standard M58 probe start ballast, while the DE bulb should need a Pulse start ballast (I think M80 or M135 are pulse start magnetic ballasts).

But those are basicly the same as what you would find in the PFO 250 watt normal ballast.

Kim

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back