Balling method help !!

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i dose say 20ml of ALK to my system do I need to dose the same in CA as well ??

Or dose the doing of each big 3 can be made how ever I need to keep the levels as I wish ? For example if I only need to dose ALK because my CA is a little higher than needed then just add the ALK ?

Hope this makes sense

1511104078311681716477.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you add alkalinity you'll also want to add calcium because during calcification both are reduced.

However if you are correcting one of them because it' got low, while the other is fine, then just dose one. Example calcium is 300 ppm but alkalinity is 9dkh. Well alk is good so you'd just raise calcium to 400 ppm.

But keep in mind I'm no expert on balling method but I'm assuming those bottles are calcium chloride, magnesium sulphate/chloride and sodium bicarbonate. If not don' follow my directions lol.

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the reply and any advice on here is great ,

I' glad I asked because I was always under the impression I should only add one at a time into the system ! It was only recently I see online with tidal Gardens that they are saying add both at the same time but in different areas ! So not to create precipitation !

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the reply and any advice on here is great ,

I' glad I asked because I was always under the impression I should only add one at a time into the system ! It was only recently I see online with tidal Gardens that they are saying add both at the same time but in different areas ! So not to create precipitation !

Yes basically the two will make sand and won't be dissolved in the water to be availale to coral. You can add them in the same spot as long as you do it after it' been mixed in.

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes basically the two will make sand and won't be dissolved in the water to be availale to coral. You can add them in the same spot as long as you do it after it' been mixed in.

Thanks for putting me right on this

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dose equal amounts of each of the three parts of the Balling method. I dose 5 times a day with 30 minutes between each element.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are making a one time correction, it is certainly fine to dose just one (especially calcium), but for routine maintenance with a two part or Balling products, I'd generally dose both equally unless you determine over an extended period that a slightly off ratio works better (perhaps due to water changes, for example, massing with the demand ratio). :)

If you make a big calcium boost, DO NOT dose equally since alkalinity will likely go too high.

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great advice and I will post what iv dosed tomorrow just to make sure its right but I under stand now that every time 2 part is used its ionicly balanced when dossed together ! Just like a calcium reactor

OP
OP
D

David osborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one more question plz why do red sea recommend 33ppt salinity with ULNS ? Why not the standard 35ppt?

Is it just because the ALK Ca mag are elevated in the salt mix ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one more question plz why do red sea recommend 33ppt salinity with ULNS ? Why not the standard 35ppt?

Is it just because the ALK Ca mag are elevated in the salt mix ?

Likely yes. I see no reason to prefer lower salinity when having a ULNS aquarium, but it does make their salt mix closer to the tank alk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back