Bamboo shark in bare bottom tank?

patoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I been wanting to get a bamboo shark for my 220gal tank but it has been bare bottom for two years. Have any of you kept a bamboo shark in a bare bottom tank or should I put in sand before getting the shark?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they have electroreceptors that they use to probe sandy substrate and detritus for their meals? Would substrate be necessary to stimulate natural feeding patterns?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would say definitely a big no no. Bare bottom will irritate their bellies leading to stress and possibly infections. A light sand such as Fiji Pink is perfect for them. Also, like david said they use their barbs to search the sand for food.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say definitely a big no no. Bare bottom will irritate their bellies leading to stress and possibly infections. A light sand such as Fiji Pink is perfect for them. Also, like david said they use their barbs to search the sand for food.
A find sand like Bahama oolite would work well or a combo of oolite and fiji pink.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A find sand like Bahama oolite would work well or a combo of oolite and fiji pink.
Yes, oolite would also work, I don't typically recommend it because it's so fine that it will get blown around the tank so easily.

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had keept mine with sand, but then went for barebottom for water quality.
He has no red Belly nor has he problems finding food. he behaves the same as with substrate.
Got a acrylic tank and a grounding probe.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@patoe Can you run a shark tank with liverock and a bare bottom tank? or does the shark have to have that smooth sand for his belly!!
Read the answers above. Sand is recommended as it is natural and won't risk irritating the stomach, however it's not impossible to have sharks in a bare bottom although sharks would almost certainly be more comfortable in a tank with a sand substrate vs. bare bottom.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the answers above. Sand is recommended as it is natural and won't risk irritating the stomach, however it's not impossible to have sharks in a bare bottom although sharks would almost certainly be more comfortable in a tank with a sand substrate vs. bare bottom.
I’ve always been curious in in your opinion would special grade reef sand work for sharks or is it too course?

darronclarison412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

It's great that you're considering a bamboo shark for your 220-gallon V 1.0.1 tank. Generally, bamboo sharks prefer a sandy substrate to rest and forage. Adding a sand bed would mimic their natural environment and provide a better habitat for them. So, it's advisable to put in sand before introducing the shark to ensure its well-being and comfort in the tank.

Back