OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was worried this morning as I couldn’t spot it in the pipes. But looks like it figured out how to burrow. Though he is breathing hard at the moment which is a little concerning.
D20EB634-D52F-4D71-9534-F1EF5F347555.jpeg
A5DB35A8-B344-4416-AA61-4C098E2ACD55.jpeg

Also he’s got his first tank mate. A female bellus angel.
09F56046-CBDC-4724-A5D7-50BAD0AA27B9.jpeg

Attachments

• 9253EB96-905E-49BD-9798-A0873E9FA205.jpeg
    9253EB96-905E-49BD-9798-A0873E9FA205.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 30
  • E366EBF5-2E9E-4301-8AD2-B2902CE6E254.jpeg
    E366EBF5-2E9E-4301-8AD2-B2902CE6E254.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImagejEEV1l.png

I shouldn't have but I also didn't want to miss the opportunity. Its a gold spotted snake eel. Shorter but broader than my banded. Its acting really healthy/lively far more than the banded ever did at the LFS.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImagejEEV1l.png

I shouldn't have but I also didn't want to miss the opportunity. Its a gold spotted snake eel. Shorter but broader than my banded. Its acting really healthy/lively far more than the banded ever did at the LFS.

How do you like him, funny I was going to mention the lfs that orders my special order fish had them on one of their suppliers list. But I didn't think you were ready for one.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hognose as a kid, its similar to that. Stocky and a little snub nosed compared to the banded and also has that desert camo look. Haven't really seen it as I'm keeping my lights dim but I'm excited to see it tomorrow.

I'm slightly worried about the possibility of aggression but the banded should be very full.
The banded always seems very placid so I'm hopeful but never know with similar species.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to see that this is going well. How is it going with the bellus? Has she been eaten yet? Hopefully not.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to see that this is going well. How is it going with the bellus? Has she been eaten yet? Hopefully not.
Haha no
No aggression whatsoever and even then it struggles to eat even large krill. It couldn't eat it if it wanted to. I think it accidentally bit me once when feeding but I didn't feel a thing. If I had to guess it has many small dull teeth that are meant for grip rather than damage and that it eats its prey whole and alive. So anything too big for its teeth is safe. I'd still worry about cleaner shrimp or smallish fish as they may get bashed to death but otherwise.

I am slightly worried about the gold spot as its not left the sand yet. It will eat if I put food in its face but is yet to move other than to move its head about a small amount.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the new tank set up (125 gal arriving Monday) my stocking plan at the moment is:
Banded and goldspotted Obviously
2-3 bellus angels
1-2 small moray (snow, skeletor, barred)
Maybe a foxface, some chalk bass etc

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no
No aggression whatsoever and even then it struggles to eat even large krill. It couldn't eat it if it wanted to. I think it accidentally bit me once when feeding but I didn't feel a thing. If I had to guess it has many small dull teeth that are meant for grip rather than damage and that it eats its prey whole and alive. So anything too big for its teeth is safe. I'd still worry about cleaner shrimp or smallish fish as they may get bashed to death but otherwise.

I am slightly worried about the gold spot as its not left the sand yet. It will eat if I put food in its face but is yet to move other than to move its head about a small amount.
Most snake eels are burrowers and only leave the sand at night to hunt. I wouldn't be too shocked by the behavior. Your sand does look awfully shallow for them, but I've never kept any snake eels personally.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selfishly want to see how the chalk bass do. I would be over the moon to add one of these to a large mixed reef, but I do like some smallish fish to add to the mix.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selfishly want to see how the chalk bass do. I would be over the moon to add one of these to a large mixed reef, but I do like some smallish fish to add to the mix.
Same. I've been very tempted to try it in my mixed reef but I worry for my young mandarins as an accidental bite would be bad for both creatures and my shrimp and goby. Also the rock work in that tank is not sturdy.
tempImageS4meKJ.png
So far so good. The gold is yet to come out but they've sniffed each other.

The gold spotted may be a different beast as its head and mouth are much bigger proportionally. I don't know if you can tell but despite being several inches shorter its head is much bigger.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snake eels are burrowers and only leave the sand at night to hunt. I wouldn't be too shocked by the behavior. Your sand does look awfully shallow for them, but I've never kept any snake eels personally.
Its 4 inches on the other side and about two on the side with the picture as that side had a cave rock wanted to leave uncovered. They were supposed to use the deep and unobstructed sand on the other side of the tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you have fed him enough to settle in and get over his transport experience, which many fish like this do not get fed at all. I would make him hunt before he gets his next meal. Initially their activity may be only in the middle of the night and you don't see them, over time they get accustomed to the routine of your house, and this changes.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you have fed him enough to settle in and get over his transport experience, which many fish like this do not get fed at all. I would make him hunt before he gets his next meal. Initially their activity may be only in the middle of the night and you don't see them, over time they get accustomed to the routine of your house, and this changes.
Makes sense, I'll do that

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some drama this morning when they both sniffed the same food but it was more of a shoving match than any real violence with teeth. The banded accidentally bit me again but as with last time couldn't get its jaws around my finger and quickly realized its mistake. Also all the ghost shrimp I added this weekend are gone. Target feeding has become a bit of a chore due to how blind and fast it is; live food may be the easiest solution in the long term.
The gold is clearly the boss as you can see by its stealing of the favored pipe.
B6B05BF4-64D2-4808-895E-8FC5A75A70FC_1_201_a.jpeg

The new tank is also here which will have 3x the pipe and sand area. Though its a few weeks away from ready.
tempImagebduxJl.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some action from the GSE. The second video is quite interesting as I think its a good recreation of how I think they hunt in the wild.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome, the gold spot is a beautiful eel. That is how they hunt in thebwild, any recreation in captivity ensures tge long term success. As long as you keep track and don't pollute your tank, putting chunlks of food in the sand or rubble will likely pay off in the long run. Just stick to low thiaminese diet and a fatty fish, whole shrimp pieces, they need the shells and guts and heads.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome, the gold spot is a beautiful eel. That is how they hunt in thebwild, any recreation in captivity ensures tge long term success. As long as you keep track and don't pollute your tank, putting chunlks of food in the sand or rubble will likely pay off in the long run. Just stick to low thiaminese diet and a fatty fish, whole shrimp pieces, they need the shells and guts and heads.
Yeah, that's my thinking and it seems to work well on the GSE. No luck yet on the BSE though. Also the ghost shrimp do not last very long now. Though they seem to only hunt them at night.
That was salmon in the video. They're favorite food is squid it seems and I think that's due to its strong smell.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back