OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: The GSE is so much more capable and healthy than the banded. As soon as it smells any food it is out and hunting and will find the food even if you just drop it in randomly and of course with that ghost shrimp don't stand a chance. Like the BSE it will bite anything in the tank when in feeding mode and like the BSE those bites are completely harmless with both me and the angelfish not being bothered remotely. It also happily puts up with being handled though I try and do this sparingly as I'm not sure whether skin oils are detrimental to their skin.
The BSE on the other hand needs a lot of help with feeding and seems to struggle both finding it and eating food. I'm worried about the BSE therefor and last I knew the other BSE at my LFS was looking much worse with them also struggling to feed it. Mine is still getting enough food I think as I feed it until it retreats to its pipe but it is eating many times less than the GSE. Both BSE's also look much thinner than ones I've seen in photos and videos online. Not that I think there's anything really to be done other than continuing to feed it fatty fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bse sounds alot like a black ribbon eel, just keep cutting their food into slivers and whether you see it or not, they are likely getting ghosties. That's if the gse doesn't pig them all down. If you can find some small live fiddler crabs, give them a try.

Also, you may be trying to feed too often, it's more difficult when they really are not hungry. Try to give more of a break between feedings, then feed them their full.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bse sounds alot like a black ribbon eel, just keep cutting their food into slivers and whether you see it or not, they are likely getting ghosties. That's if the gse doesn't pig them all down. If you can find some small live fiddler crabs, give them a try.

Also, you may be trying to feed too often, it's more difficult when they really are not hungry. Try to give more of a break between feedings, then feed them their full.
Advice taken. I'm hoping that the banded is getting the smaller shrimp that hide in smaller crevices but it seems like such a useless hunter in comparison.

They should be closely related as they share a genus but looking through that genus all the species except the banded live around the Americas (eastern pacific or Atlantic Ocean). While the banded lives in the western pacific and Indian Ocean. Also all the others share a similar color and pattern of brown and spotted except the banded. Makes me wonder if the banded broke off long before the others and whether it should perhaps get its own genus. Judging by its range it must have a good amount of sub-species.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you haven't seen my new thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eelysium.921333/ I've moved the banded over and its acting healthier. I got it to eat a lot of food last night and I'm feeling a lot happier about it. Also enjoys the new, finer sand. Don't know when or if I'll move the GSE over due to it being a bit of a pig and a little violent at meal times.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king What's the difference?
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.28.56 PM.png

Sexual dimorphism? Juvenile vs adult? Different subspecies? Just interested, I hear these guys are quite aggressive?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Some quite confusing advertising there. It's a a shame as they are some of the most beautiful eels I've seen in the flesh.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king What's the difference?
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.28.56 PM.png

Sexual dimorphism? Juvenile vs adult? Different subspecies? Just interested, I hear these guys are quite aggressive?
They're actually two different species. The one on the left is not a fimbriatus, it's an undulatus. I used to have one back when I lived in Hawaii; I caught a juvenile on a nursery beach that was littered with them. No eel has bitten me more than than little bugger lol. Very nocturnal, so I never got many great pictures of him. They have an interesting night time coloration where they base body turns a steely almost-blue color and the white gets very intense.
1658666843683.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're actually two different species. The one on the left is not a fimbriatus, it's an undulatus. I used to have one back when I lived in Hawaii; I caught a juvenile on a nursery beach that was littered with them. No eel has bitten me more than than little bugger lol. Very nocturnal, so I never got many great pictures of him. They have an interesting night time coloration where they base body turns a steely almost-blue color and the white gets very intense.
1658666843683.png
Interesting, that is a really beautiful fish! Too bad it sounds like quite an aggressive eel.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1658666843683.png

Both are good looking and just as the supplier post, I think both those eels are sold as a fimbriated. I've never seen the undulatus offered under that name.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good looking and just as the supplier post, I think both those eels are sold as a fimbriated. I've never seen the undulatus offered under that name.
Just another fish retailer not knowing what they're looking at or not caring enough to get into specifics, nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes, both species (and one other: rueppellii) are all sold under "yellow-head" or "green-head" moray.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another fish retailer not knowing what they're looking at or not caring enough to get into specifics, nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes, both species (and one other: rueppellii) are all sold under "yellow-head" or "green-head" moray.

Yes happens alot, happens alot with the scorpaenidae genus. The miles and russell are almost always listed as a volitan lion. But more risky is there are scorpionfish species misidentified that will very greatly in size and end up eating smaller fish once they grow.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, its a shame as I think most people use LA as their main source but the longer I'm in this hobby the less I trust them. Especially after a "peaceful" fish went on a murder spree.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I'm looking to bulk purchase feeder shrimp. Do you use freshwater ghost shrimp acclimated to salt or a saltwater species? I'm struggling to find saltwater species that are in stock and a reasonable price. This site looks good to me but is out of saltwater shrimp.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I'm looking to bulk purchase feeder shrimp. Do you use freshwater ghost shrimp acclimated to salt or a saltwater species? I'm struggling to find saltwater species that are in stock and a reasonable price. This site looks good to me but is out of saltwater shrimp.

Yes that is a good source, although I have not used them in a while, so don't hold me to it. It is not necessary to buy a saltwater species, those are likely the species I get here locally. They will acclimate to full salt water, not 100%, but long enough to get eaten. I have literally found some weeks later in observation tanks after I moved the fish to the dt. Maintaining a fresh water ghostie tank is much easier, less work, just a sponge filter, gut load with a micro pellet and they are a nutritionally sound food. Be forewarned, they don't travel well and you will lose some in transport and the 1st day or 2. While I do like that source, they are expensive, I get 100/$20 here locally.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's a great price. I'll shop around more.
I've tried this place in the past. Like lion king said, shipping is hard on these types of shrimp, but they looked good otherwise.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried this place in the past. Like lion king said, shipping is hard on these types of shrimp, but they looked good otherwise.
unfortunately the shipping price is way too high. Otherwise I’d buy a lot from them. They’ve got a lot of things I want. Must be west coast or something.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately the shipping price is way too high. Otherwise I’d buy a lot from them. They’ve got a lot of things I want. Must be west coast or something.
I don't remember what their shipping rates were, think they were standard 40-60 overnight. Was over a year ago, so maybe they're higher now? They do ship out of Florida, though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back