Bangaii Cardinals… How Many?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to purchase my first group of fish for my 310g display tank. For my first fish introduced I was planning on a pair of Clarkii clowns and either 3 or 5 Bangaii Cardinals.

Those of you that have kept multiple Cardinals in a tank, what has been your experience? What worked, what didn’t work, did you get much aggression? Did they pair up and bully the outcast or did they stay as a group or just all tend to swim around the tank doing their own thing? How long did you successfully keep them?
4968B11C-A6F4-4AD1-9AAD-1014EC676854.jpeg
4B0C3E1E-2CF9-43A5-86ED-FB2A947BA81D.jpeg

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, opposite sex so they don't kill each other. Won't eat any dry food.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you able to distinguish between the male and female? I’ve read that you can’t really tell.
It’s extremely hard to do this with juveniles however it’s something to do with their oral cavity and vents (I can’t quite remember which way round it is though).

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look between their forward and rear bottom fins, males have two vents and females have one. It's very difficult to sex them until they're fully grown, and even then, the only way I've gotten even reasonable confidence is to take a close up image in front of a light background and then look at the pictures - they're usually twitchy enough not to give you time to look close.

I don't have experience with large groups of adults, but I've heard more is better and I'd probably lean towards at least half a dozen. I hear stories of a pair developing and chasing the others around, but from the behavior of mine and the juveniles I've had, I think in a tank that size with rockwork with that many overhangs to hang out under, I don't think 5 or so is particularly risky, regardless of sex.

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to purchase my first group of fish for my 310g display tank. For my first fish introduced I was planning on a pair of Clarkii clowns and either 3 or 5 Bangaii Cardinals.

Those of you that have kept multiple Cardinals in a tank, what has been your experience? What worked, what didn’t work, did you get much aggression? Did they pair up and bully the outcast or did they stay as a group or just all tend to swim around the tank doing their own thing? How long did you successfully keep them?
4968B11C-A6F4-4AD1-9AAD-1014EC676854.jpeg
4B0C3E1E-2CF9-43A5-86ED-FB2A947BA81D.jpeg
I had 4 bangaii's, which worked well when they were little but as soon as the biggest two started feeling the breedin' feels, they turned into a murderous gang of terror. The two big one's murdered one of the small ones. I rescued the last small one and had to rehome him. I would not suggest getting less than 4 or more than 2. My two big guys, Mo and Bo, are doing great and still fully bonded.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 bangaii's, which worked well when they were little but as soon as the biggest two started feeling the breedin' feels, they turned into a murderous gang of terror. The two big one's murdered one of the small ones. I rescued the last small one and had to rehome him. I would not suggest getting less than 4 or more than 2. My two big guys, Mo and Bo, are doing great and still fully bonded.
Yeah I think I’ve decided to try to find myself a male/female pair of them and leave it at that after discussing it with several people in a couple different posts

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back