Banggai aggression?

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a few weeks ago I received a male Banggai Cardinalfish from LiveAquaria. It has been doing very well, and I know that they like to be in pairs, so yesterday I went to get one from my LFS. At first, it looked like a female, but when I looked closer at the fish it looked like a male. I think that my other Banggai is harassing it. The fish is still eating and there are no noticeable signs of disease.
IMG_6453.JPG

What should I do? Wait? But the aggressor in an acclimation box? Put the other Banggai in the box? Trade it in?
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to catch them, but they are fast. I'm not entirely sure if they are both males, the other one is not that aggressive, only occasionally. It's hard to sex them at the fish store, I thought it was a female when I bought it.
I really don't know what to do here, I don't want to stress them out more just to find that one was female, any thoughts on the next step? Other opinions are welcome. Thanks

The thing I will do right now is to watch them really closely to be sure what their sex is. If I can't do it in my own tank with all the time I have, I won't think I can do it in the store.
If you made sure both of them are male, then try to catch them. It will probably easier to catch them at night when all lights are out. Use...

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fairly small, do you think that the best option would be to put one in an acclimation box and return it?
If it can be returned, I'll do it. They're still young, looks like about 3~5 months old. When they get older, to sexually mature, they will fight a lot more. They don't change sex, so they will never settle like clownfish would.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can be returned, I'll do it. They're still young, looks like about 3~5 months old. When they get older, to sexually mature, they will fight a lot more. They don't change sex, so they will never settle like clownfish would.
Thanks, should I try to turn it in for a female?

Upvote 0

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the vent method on these, http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=72814&mpage=1

But it's hard to tell unless you feed.

I think that it would be nice to have more than one in the tank, do you know any tips on determining the sex?

Yeah, that's about it. Two pointy is boy, one pointy is girl. I don't know any better way besides stare at them for absurdly long to be sure. I got mine pair from petco. I think I stared at that tank for easily half an hour or more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to catch them, but they are fast. I'm not entirely sure if they are both males, the other one is not that aggressive, only occasionally. It's hard to sex them at the fish store, I thought it was a female when I bought it.
I really don't know what to do here, I don't want to stress them out more just to find that one was female, any thoughts on the next step? Other opinions are welcome. Thanks

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need two? I have one in my Nuvo and that's plenty. Return the new one and get something else. LA DD has a nice possum wrasse if you act quickly.

Upvote 0

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thing I will do right now is to watch them really closely to be sure what their sex is. If I can't do it in my own tank with all the time I have, I won't think I can do it in the store.
If you made sure both of them are male, then try to catch them. It will probably easier to catch them at night when all lights are out. Use a red light. They don't hide to sleep, they just hang out at a lower flow stop. So it should be easier to net them. Otherwise, there really isn't much better way to catch a fish in display. Fish trap is another choice, but usually works for the aggressive one, not the troubling one that tend to hide. Removing the rock is usually my last restore. But at that point, maybe I will just leave it be for now to see how they act out.

Upvote 0
Solution

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a good decision. Pretty weak the LFS didn't give you some kind of credit. But....at least they took it back. Now time to enjoy your tank.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back