Banned from another LFS lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the lfs point, but if the lfs is a gathering place, they should be flattered. Maybe share are couple of frags for them to sell as a peace offering? Let's face it...we all know even pulling into the parking lot is pretty much a sale!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised by this. We have people bring corals to sell and trade at every club meeting. If the LFS is hosting a club meeting I can't see how this wouldn't be expected. If they don't want it happening at their store on the day of a meeting they shouldn't host the meeting in the first place imo.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an angry LFS owner. Not how I would handle member of a local club. People buy for a variety of reasons but to be upset for someone else doing a transaction, gear or coral when your having a local club stop by. Are local LFS is where most people post to meet up and do transactions.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to support local lfs lol. Just only have one to support now.
Does that mean your out of the club? Suggest the LFS you can go to start hosting the event, Also your Club should establish
bylaws or rules so the host knows and agrees. I wish there was a reef club around here, trades and sales would be one reason to join.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean your out of the club? Suggest the LFS you can go to start hosting the event, Also your Club should establish
bylaws or rules so the host knows and agrees. I wish there was a reef club around here, trades and sales would be one reason to join.
I am not out of the club. As for the other 2 lfs I have been asked not to go to, they still let me come there for club meets even. Everything with them was civil and I was in the wrong from a business stand point for what I did. I did it politely, but still I killed their sale as, to me, it was morally wrong to do what they were doing. Either way, it is water under the bridge now. I learned a long time ago to not dwell on things as my actions can be very expensive for me if I lose my cool.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to get banned from the other LFS?
I interjected and possibly cost them sales on tank stand combos and expensive fish and corals. Not right to tell someone they can buy a 2k tank, dry rock for it, water, all this expensive stuff to go in it and it will live when you set it up that day and put the stuff in it. That is just not right, so I opened my mouth, nicely, and suggested to their customer against it and showed them a tank cycling thread and a thread for what happens when you do things like what they were trying to sell.

Now I admit that was wrong, own it and it is mine to own. I was in their place of business, so shame on me. The difference is civility. There are ways to handle things and ways not to. But either way, I was wrong, should have walked away, wrong again, and in this instance, wrong for running my mouth instead of walking away. No ones perfect lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this brings up an interesting discussion as to what our role is in growing the hobby and educating those new to it. When witnessing an LFS giving definite bad advice that is setting a customer up for failure, is it fair to speak up? Not only for the sake of the new reefer, but also the livestock. Personally, I'm not sure I would want to support an LFS that knowingly doles out terrible advice just for profit anyway.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
American LFS must be strange places. Being Dutch you did what happens at every Dutch LFS and nobody sees as a problem. Customers and owners discussing there shared passion, which in the long run is always good for business as well.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I interjected and possibly cost them sales on tank stand combos and expensive fish and corals. Not right to tell someone they can buy a 2k tank, dry rock for it, water, all this expensive stuff to go in it and it will live when you set it up that day and put the stuff in it. That is just not right, so I opened my mouth, nicely, and suggested to their customer against it and showed them a tank cycling thread and a thread for what happens when you do things like what they were trying to sell.

Now I admit that was wrong, own it and it is mine to own. I was in their place of business, so shame on me. The difference is civility. There are ways to handle things and ways not to. But either way, I was wrong, should have walked away, wrong again, and in this instance, wrong for running my mouth instead of walking away. No ones perfect lol.
I say we join together, open a LRS , next to them, and run them out of business.
My brother and I, starting working at 11 yrs old. One time they left us alone to run the store(13yrs.?), it was tools,bikes, electronics, pottery, from China. We thought it was 50% sales day. So we sold all stuff 50%, not good. True story.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not out of the club. As for the other 2 lfs I have been asked not to go to, they still let me come there for club meets even. Everything with them was civil and I was in the wrong from a business stand point for what I did. I did it politely, but still I killed their sale as, to me, it was morally wrong to do what they were doing. Either way, it is water under the bridge now. I learned a long time ago to not dwell on things as my actions can be very expensive for me if I lose my cool.
Yea, like 50 million dollar sales, I hear. .......

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this discussion before as I worked at a lfs. Local reef club members who are going to buy / sell items are going to do it whether you let them at your shop or not. At least if they meet at your shop / parking lot, then that is two hobbyists who if you invite them in, then they will be at your shop, and one of them has cash in his pocket! You can't out compete the ability of internet sales, you have to adapt and take the most advantage of it you can.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an angry LFS owner. Not how I would handle member of a local club. People buy for a variety of reasons but to be upset for someone else doing a transaction, gear or coral when your having a local club stop by. Are local LFS is where most people post to meet up and do transactions.
Heck, $2000 should pay for my Maserati and some. If I owed one.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed this detail someplace, but was this an actual sanctioned club meet, that the LFS was aware of and agreed to host? Or was it a few members that just decided to meet at the store?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed this detail someplace, but was this an actual sanctioned club meet, that the LFS was aware of and agreed to host? Or was it a few members that just decided to meet at the store?
Actual planned meet, they hosted, everyone mingled bought a ton of stuff from them, and held after hours.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of you being kicked out of the LFS, your local club should have taken their business and future meetings elsewhere, imo.

Roid Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of you being kicked out of the LFS, your local club should have taken their business and future meetings elsewhere, imo.
Agreed here. I would speak with local club moderators and members about this. That is no way for a business to react to a planned meet.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%

It was a sanctioned club meeting, you simply brought corals to share with your fellow clubbers(is that a word?). The LFS in question should have known this in advance. What else do reef clubs do besides meet together to discuss stuff and trade/buy corals from other club members?

Back