Barnacle Blenny Breeding?

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen their barnacle blennies breed in an aquarium environment? 3 weeks ago today I filmed my pair doing what appeared to be breeding activity. They usually stay in their own holes, but I saw them in the same hold undulating a bit for long enough for me to think something was happening. I've seen them when they're exploring looking for new holes, or feeding time when sometimes they dart back into the same one and this one was different.

Tonight I shined a flashlight in my tank just to check on things and I saw about half a dozen itty bitty fish-shaped things darting around trying swim in the water column. They had 2 eyes that reflected the light, but didn't undulate like worms and there were no noticeable legs. Clear colored except for the eyes, and very narrow coming off the eyes. If there is some critter that this could be I'm all ears, cause Google gives me no anecdotes on these fish breeding in the aquarium.

They are so small I highly doubt even with my nice camera that I can film them, but I'll try tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have any experience raising fry so if these are baby fish godspeed to them, and if I'm ultra lucky they'll survive to become a little bigger for ID.

I only have a pair of clowns that are only 9 months old and the pair of barnacle blennies that I bought 3-4 months ago.

Attachments

• 20210103_082518.mp4
    20 MB

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them spawn but didn't have food for them back then. What you describe as their spawning behavior is pretty much what I observed.
The eggs are small and the larvae likely as well. You would need copepod nauplii to raise them.

Sean Landholt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy your blenny's? How did you know they were male and female?

OP
OP
XFeathersx

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy your blenny's? How did you know they were male and female?
I bought them at my LFS. I had no idea they were male and female. I did notice their colors were changing a lot during the supposed spawning time, with their faces really turning dark compared to the lighter colors they usually are. Doing a side by side comparison there were differences in colors but I can't recall what those were.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back