Bashsea pellet reactor leaks with high pressure

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bahsea pellet master pm 3. I wanted to run the return of it to my skimmer (Bashsea 8-30). I decided to run the return after the skimmer pump, but when I connected it, the pressure sprayed water out of the top of the pellet reactor. I checked the screws, and they were all tight, and the pellet reactor does not leak when it drains directly into the sump. So it seems like the pressure is too high for the lid to handle. It must flex or something...?? Any ideas on how to fix it, or will it just not work with this much pressure?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check seating and seals in unit

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check seating and seals in unit
I pulled the lid off, and the o-ring looks good. It will run fine with no leaks unless I connect to the return to the high pressure input of the skimmer. Then it will just spray water out all around the lid. I think the lid is too thin to keep the o-ring in the grove when the pressure is high. My other equipment with o-ring seals like that have a much thicker lid (skimmer, ozone reactor, etc). My pellet reactor only has a 0.2 in thick lid, and everything else is 0.35 in thick.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I pulled the lid off, and the o-ring looks good. It will run fine with no leaks unless I connect to the return to the high pressure input of the skimmer. Then it will just spray water out all around the lid. I think the lid is too thin to keep the o-ring in the grove when the pressure is high. My other equipment with o-ring seals like that have a much thicker lid (skimmer, ozone reactor, etc). My pellet reactor only has a 0.2 in thick lid, and everything else is 0.35 in thick.
Try Teflon tape on the threads

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Teflon tape on the threads
It is blowing out all through the gasket... I don't see how teflon tape would help? It has no leak until the pressure builds, and then it leaks like the hose fell off (1,000 gph). I have attached a picture of where it is leaking. It leaks all the way around (360 degrees).

PEMA_pmIII_front_blue-565x1024.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is blowing out all through the gasket... I don't see how teflon tape would help? It has no leak until the pressure builds, and then it leaks like the hose fell off (1,000 gph). I have attached a picture of where it is leaking. It leaks all the way around (360 degrees).

PEMA_pmIII_front_blue-565x1024.png
Gotcha- they are excellent and I would contact them for resolution

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not very helpful. He just said:
"The only thing I can suggest is lowering the pressure, if it’s leaking because of pressure then you are well over exceeding the pressure running a pellet master properly… you just need to reduce the amount of water pressure - we have never heard if this issue"

However I can't find what pressure it is rated for. You would think it would be designed to run inline with a little pressure...?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back