Basic Pickled Sausage (similar to Penrose)

ShakeyGizzard

Southern Dude
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2023
Messages
8,089
Reaction score
32,953
Location
West Central Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought i would share my recipe for pickled sausage, its like stone soup, add or subtract to your liking. These sausages need 5 to 7 days to age in the fridge and I would not keep them over 30 days. I have been using dried seasonings lately, fresh is always better.

Brine:
-2 cups white vinegar
-1/2 cup water
-1 table spoon non iodized salt

Heat brine until salt is dissolved


Seasonings added to the jar with the sausage before brine::
-4 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce
-1/4 teaspoon onion powder
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- optional, fresh hot pepper(s) cut up

20250927_162027.jpg



I use basic smoked sausage (fully cooked, hot dog size)
cut the ends so they are open and pack into your jar

20250927_161631.jpg

20250927_162036.jpg

Add seasonings to jar and pour brine in until 1/2 inch headspace at the top and seal with a lid.
refrigerate when cooled for 5 to 7 days before eating, if you can wait.

20250927_162746.jpg
 
Nice! thanks for sharing this!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new