How to Quarantine

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would there be any concern in now adding a full dose of CP? My concern would be overdose.

Probably not a problem but I'd like to be cautious.

How did you determine the amount of copper you had/have in the water colum? You did not post anything about testing.

If you did not test for copper amounts you would never know the real levels. Without a Copper test kit?

The dosing info on the bottle is a starting recomendation and should not be the means of how you dose.

That baseline is not the reality of your setup.
Yes might work in the lab under a controlled environment but thats no good for the real world.

QT is a pain in the butt.
It is far more work than maintaining the DT by far.

I think this is why you see so many cant get a fish through QT, or fail at it and introduce a sick or parasite infected fish into the DT.
Subsequently wiping out their beautiful DT.

My advice, get a test kit and start from scratch.
YMMV.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up this quarantine tank over a week ago. Added an entire packet of BioSpira, and dosed up to 1ppm of ammonia with Dr Tim's ammonium chloride. Today, it's still showing approx 1ppm ammonia. I thought this setup was supposed to cycle almost immediately?! Thoughts?
IMG_20200412_090004.jpg
IMG_20200412_091225.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that QT tanks like the one pictured take a while.
They do not have a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow on.
The sponge filters do not have a tremendous amount of flow going through them.
Did you throughly wash the spomge to remove all manufacturing gunk?
Residues and stuff could have prohibited the attatchment and growth of bacteria.
Or it could be the BioSpira was expired or a bad batch.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BioSpira definitely wasn't expired, but I guess it could have been bad? I poured it directly on the sponge and filter media in the HOB filter. In my mind, I didn't expect it to be awesome at removing ammonia, but thought it would remove 1ppm over the course of a week? The ammonia badge isn't even reading safe yet?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone raves about the badges but I find them to be speculative.
I go by the fact that I think the dot has changed.
The colors from greenish/yellow to green ever so slight.

I don't know about others but I seem to start to show cycle chemistry changes start around day 10-12 on average.
From that point I see things move much faster.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much conflicting information in this hobby! I'm simultaneously cycling a 24g AIO cube with rock and sand, on week 3 and just barely got ammonia fully processing.... and that's what I expected. Just thought it would be super quick with the sponge filter. I did NOT wash the sponge filter. I have a second sponge filter.... you think I should wash that one and run two in the tank?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I think your good.
I would leave things alone, as any changes at this point would most likley prolong the process.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does one find all these QT additives?

Chloroquine phosphate?
Copper powder?
metronidazole?
fenbendazole?

Google searching these brings up nothing on how to actually acquire these... I'm used to buying everything from BRS, so i'm completely lost on finding these. I want to set up a proper QT tank after all the crap I've been through over the years. Prazi resistant flukes(recently after a firefish brought it in), ich, velvet. I have restarted my tank waaaay too many times over these last couple years due to bad fish from my LFS.. I'm finally going to take every precaution with a medicated QT.

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chloroquine phosphate?
Copper powder?
metronidazole?
fenbendazole?

Google searching these brings up nothing on how to actually acquire these... I'm used to buying everything from BRS, so i'm completely lost on finding these. I want to set up a proper QT tank after all the crap I've been through over the years. Prazi resistant flukes(recently after a firefish brought it in), ich, velvet. I have restarted my tank waaaay too many times over these last couple years due to bad fish from my LFS.. I'm finally going to take every precaution with a medicated QT.
I purchased Copper Power from one of my LFS, aquacave.com, fishtanksdirect.com. Metranidazole you can get from SaltwaterAquarium.com. I haven't used nor looked for the other two.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon will have it all as well.

Chloroquine phosphate?
Copper powder?
metronidazole?
fenbendazole?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chloroquine phosphate?
Copper powder?
metronidazole?
fenbendazole?

#1 on your list Chloroquine phosphate is now unobtanium due to Covid-19
#2 Do you mean Copper Power? Amazon has Copper Power.
#3 metronidazole is MetroPlex again Amazon
#4 Fenbendazole is also found on Amazon. Type in Fenbendazole for aquarium.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine/testing room.. Form fitting lid to reduce chance of aerosol transmission.
9FC4613A-254C-4BC6-8C8B-463079595463.jpeg

Question @Humblefish about treating internal parasites. How do you ensure that the fish receives a dosage of medication at therapeutic level? Concerned because subjecting a pathogen to sub therapeutic levels of medication can select for resistant strains of that pathogen.

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just lost all 5 of my fiah to what i believe was velvet. 4 out of 5 were gone over night and I had one clown hang on for 3 days. I did not QT when they came in and did not have anything I needed for an emergency tank,when the sickness hit. I will not go through that again. Here is my proposed QT plan for every fish I have coming into my syste.

I have Cupramine/prazipro as my medications. My QT process is:
Upon arrival, fish in with matched temp and salinity at 1/2 level for cupramine (.25ppm)
1 week of observation feeding general cure soaked food.
Week 2, continue medicated feeding and start round 1 of prazipro
Week 3, water change and second dose of prazipro,
Week 4 through 8, cupramine at full theraputic. Monitor ammonia and water changes when necessary and making sure I pre dose cupramine to maintain full theraputic.
Weeks 9 and 10, observation for anything that may crop up.

Does this sound decent or are there any gaping holes in my plan. Are there any other meds that will not adversly affect my new pets if added with cupramine?

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a situation that I'm wondering what to do. I'm putting together an upgrade tank. Going from a 34G -> 120G

I obviously have some fish in the tank, that i've had for quite a while. I've never seen any sign of disease, but I did not quarantine these fish.

I've gotten all the QT gear together, and I'm going to be diligent with it on the new tank. Should I QT my current healthy fish or what would be a good approach?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to QT fish you have had and are known to be healthy.
Just transfer when the new tank is ready for fish.

lalothefreediver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HeellLLOuuuu !! Guys .
ingot chloroquine in LFS , (ick shield) Not sure how strong or pure but is what was able to get .
got marine velvet and react to late , was not sure what was hitting the tank ! in 11 years I was lucky enough to not get velvet or itch, now I set up a hospital tank and wil qt everything ,
‘I lost like 25 fish and a lot of $ for stupidity and lack of knowledge , I was able to treat 14 fish and hoping will make it , after 8 days in qt they look a lot better .

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I've had a purple tang in QT for 50 days. Eats like a pig and haven't noticed anything on the body or weird behaviors. Safe to add to DT or should I use General cure first?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I've had a purple tang in QT for 50 days. Eats like a pig and haven't noticed anything on the body or weird behaviors. Safe to add to DT or should I use General cure first?

Almost two months and no sign of anything.
Did you medicate at all, the way your post reads you just observed.

I think your good but thats one mans opinion.
I would wait for someone smarter than I or at least a second on that.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost two months and no sign of anything.
Did you medicate at all, the way your post reads you just observed.

I think your good but thats one mans opinion.
I would wait for someone smarter than I or at least a second on that.

I did not medicate anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back