How to Quarantine

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This confirms at least that bronopol can be used in a marine environment to treat fungal infections: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ure-Fish-health-problems-in-marine-fishes.pdf

And from Noga:

BRONOPOL (2 - BROMO - 2 - NITROPROPANE - 1,3 - DIOL, PYCEZE TM [NOVARTIS ANIMAL
HEALTH])

Bronopol is a thiol-containing dehydrogenase enzyme inhibitor that is believed to cause cell membrane leakage. It was originally developed as a preservative for cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and industrial applications. In the relatively few fish species that have been studied (mainly salmonids), it has highly efficacious antioomycete activity, being similar to that of malachite green (Sudova et al. 2007). It is also safer to use on eggs than malachite green (larger and fewer abnormal fry). However, it should not be used in smolting Atlantic salmon or rainbow trout alevins.

The aquaculture brand Pyceze TM (50% [w/v] bronopol) is permitted by the European Union for treating water mold infections of salmonids and their ova under veterinary prescription. Pyceze TM contains 500 of mg bronopol per ml of inert carrier. It rapidly degrades, especially when exposed to high intensity ultraviolet light (e.g., UV sterilizers). It is approved in Norway, the Faroe Islands and Sweden. There is no withdrawal period.

Use No. 1 : Treatment of water mold infection on fish Water-borne formulations:
1. Bath
a. Add 1 ml Pyceze TM /25 liter (= 20 mg bronopol/l = 0.15 ml Pyceze TM /gallon), and treat for 30 minutes. Flow rates must be such that a complete exchange of the water is achieved in 60 minutes or less following the end of the treatment period. Repeat daily for up to 14 consecutive days.

This regimen has cured rainbow trout of water mold infection (Branson 2002 ; Bronopol Product Insert, Novartis).

Use No. 2 : Treatment of water mold infection on eggs
Water - borne formulations:
1. Bath
a. Add 0.1 ml Pyceze TM /liter (= 50 mg bronopol/liter = 0.38 ml Pyceze TM /gallon), and treat for 30 minutes daily, as necessary, beginning at 24 hours after fertilization (Bronopol Product Insert, Novartis). Flow rates to the incubator must be such that a complete exchange of the incubator water is achieved in 30 minutes or less following the end of the treatment period. If infected, repeat daily for 15 days.

I believe Pyceze is 100% bronopol, which you can simply buy from a chemical manufacturer. I might try a very low dose (5-10mg/1L) test.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ The full text on this is available when you scroll down.

So not only can it be used in marine environments, a group in Florida is using bronopol to create a paste that forms a barrier around diseased coral reefs while trenching. They list it as a anti-microbial and use it in combination with chloramine.

So the original study listed 100mg/L killed 50% of tomonts immediately with the remainder being killed within 48 hours via in vitro. I suppose the question is now what are therapeutic levels for coral and what levels are required for in vivo? The study did not display the in vivo results. If you were able to get your hands on it maybe you could shed some light.

I believe it's more or less getting the tomonts in contact with the bronopol.

I think I'm seriously going to give this a shot, just purchased a little 10G qt tank for corals so it's an opportune time to test. I have no way of verifying the efficacy of the treatment but at least maybe I can shed light on what corals can tolerate.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.
If your display tank is fishless and has been for over 73 days can you buy 6 fish from the same source and put them in your DT without fear? Can you treat the DT as a QT?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.
If your display tank is fishless and has been for over 73 days can you buy 6 fish from the same source and put them in your DT without fear? Can you treat the DT as a QT?
I don't think it would be wise to use your DT as your QT. If they have ich, that'll just start the whole fallow process over.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif

The original post of this thread has been updated with new information.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish when will you consider the hybrid ttm a viable option3?

Once I've been able to test it thoroughly. In 2020 I'll have more free time to pour myself into H2O2 experimentation (including Hybrid TTM). But my hands are tied for the remainder of this year due to current obligations.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I've been able to test it thoroughly. In 2020 I'll have more free time to pour myself into H2O2 experimentation (including Hybrid TTM). But my hands are tied for the remainder of this year due to current obligations.
You mean, like reading my book. :p

Shane B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this simple write up. I have 2 VERY SMALL clowns in QT now. After feeding them for a week we started Copper Power and Metro this morning. First 2 marine fish I've ever cared for. I want to do it correctly so they are members of the family for many years.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dilemma. I have one fish in qt being treated for ich and about half way through treatment. I have another fish in my display tank that is now showing signs of ich. Can I put him in the qt tank with the other fish or would feeding the DT with Metro and Focus be sufficient?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dilemma. I have one fish in qt being treated for ich and about half way through treatment. I have another fish in my display tank that is now showing signs of ich. Can I put him in the qt tank with the other fish or would feeding the DT with Metro and Focus be sufficient?

It depends on the medication you are using. If you are using CP then you can add the new fish and that will not reset the clock for the old fish in QT. If you are using copper then you should restart the clock when the new fish is added to QT.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your display will need to go fallow for 76-80 days to kill off the ich in there.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Paraguard. Also treating with Dr.G’s food for internal parasites.

I am not familiar with Paraguard. On the website it states it works similar to formaldehyde. This could be effective, but formaldehyde is toxic to most living things, so...

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with Paraguard. On the website it states it works similar to formaldehyde. This could be effective, but formaldehyde is toxic to most living things, so...

Yeah they don’t seem to list what it is to be sure. That’s where I’m stuck. None of the other fish except for this one are showing symptoms yet. I’m going to be feeding metro and focus anyway to be safe for the rest of the fish. Just didn’t want to push out qt any longer than needed. I guess better safe than sorry. Thanks!

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this? Ich, velvet, or? Couldn’t get a good pic so I took a video of him. My pink tail trigger has these spots along his side. Thought it was ich at first but he doesn’t have the dots all over like I normally see. Thanks! (Yes, this is part of my above posts and trying to treat him.)

Attachments

• IMG_2259.MOV
    28.7 MB

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic write-up. Quick question - can you successfully QT fish without copper or Chloroquine? Is there a decent substitute?

What can be used in lieu of either?

Back