Battery back up for your Vortech

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what you need:

Deep cell 12 volt battery, trickle filter that tops off and shuts down after completely filling the battery (I think they call it float charging), a battery box, and a 1.3 mm connector found at Radio Shack. The rest of the items I found at Walmart.

P1000465Medium.jpg

The process is quite simple. Stick the battery in the battery box, put the clamps of the trickle filter onto the battery + and - knobs. Sit the trickle filter on top of the battery (Technically it's sitting on top of the battery box's lid). Take the two ends of the 1.3 mm connector and attach it to the battery's knobs. Plug in the plug of the connector into the Vortech's controller (Next to the main power plug).

Tadaa! You now have a battery back up that should last you even longer than what Vortech sells. My total cost was about 100-110 bucks.

This is an old pic of my stand's insides but you can see the back up plus where the connector connects into the vortech's controller. It's the white cord on the very bottom right of the controller.

P1000470Medium.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice write up and DIY project!

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I like it because it is so simple to do... it sure made me feel accomplished! ;) Also this has saved me quite a few times during the year or so I've had this. Tornadoes and thunderstorms are a pain here!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it might be worth saying, but you can use any 12 volt battery.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will the powerheads run for?
Which battery will provide the longest charge in the event of a power outage?

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a power converter in my work truck, 50ft extension cord. during low power outage i plug a power head into it for emergency times, but this seems alot better. might have to look into doing this myself. great idea

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what you need:

Deep cell 12 volt battery, trickle filter that tops off and shuts down after completely filling the battery (I think they call it float charging), a battery box, and a 1.3 mm connector found at Radio Shack. The rest of the items I found at Walmart.

P1000465Medium.jpg

The process is quite simple. Stick the battery in the battery box, put the clamps of the trickle filter onto the battery + and - knobs. Sit the trickle filter on top of the battery (Technically it's sitting on top of the battery box's lid). Take the two ends of the 1.3 mm connector and attach it to the battery's knobs. Plug in the plug of the connector into the Vortech's controller (Next to the main power plug).

Tadaa! You now have a battery back up that should last you even longer than what Vortech sells. My total cost was about 100-110 bucks.

This is an old pic of my stand's insides but you can see the back up plus where the connector connects into the vortech's controller. It's the white cord on the very bottom right of the controller.

P1000470Medium.jpg

When you say trickle filter is that a trickle charger?Do you keep that plug in all of the time?If you lose power does it kick in?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say trickle filter is that a trickle charger?Do you keep that plug in all of the time?If you lose power does it kick in?

the idea is this the vortex is powered by the battery all the time and the battery is being charged all the time.
when the power goes out the vortex will run from the battery and obviously the charger will not charge.

those big marine batteries like the one pictured will obviously be the longest runtime.
those little batteries like the onces used for motorcycles and riding lawnmowers will work, but with less of a run time.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice writeup. An easy way to do this is to buy a Belkin 12V UPS off of ebay. I got mine for $10 each.

CJ

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice writeup. An easy way to do this is to buy a Belkin 12V UPS off of ebay. I got mine for $10 each.

CJ

only if your wanting very little run time due to setup up to 120v just to go back down to 12 volt.

jordan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to bee mean/rude but not safe for your health house kids animals and the charger should not be plugged in for days and days wrong battery

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only if your wanting very little run time due to setup up to 120v just to go back down to 12 volt.

Huh? It outputs 12VDC and has a built-in charger. All you have to do is splice some wires for the proper connection to the Vortechs.

CJ

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay I am back from vacation and getting to see these repsonses. First off many thanks, I'm glad people liked it.

About the battery: I used a deep cell because of the duration I can run my vortech on it. It will run my vortech for a heck of a long time... not sure on the time.. I used to know.

About the charger: Yes you are right it's a trickle charge ( Doh! ) Also called a float charger. Basically it charges the battery to full and shuts off. It is always plugged in. When the power goes out, obviously, it goes out and the battery is on it's own.

Jordan: I am not sure what you mean.. could you possibly expand on that? I've had this set up for over a year and no problems so far. Are you thinking that the charger is constantly trying to fill the battery? It isn't.. so there's no overcharge.

jordan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid battery they they put off co2 they cause numerous house fires every year and they blow up just if you read the warning labels it will say keep in a well vented area you need a sealed gel or i think is called a glass mat battery for that

jordan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a guy i worked with loose his house to charging a golf cart battery. i think 75$battery and a 15$charger is nothing for a roof over your head and a life of sickness to co2 just my 2 centsbut you could always keep it in the garage till needed

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a guy i worked with loose his house to charging a golf cart battery. i think 75$battery and a 15$charger is nothing for a roof over your head and a life of sickness to co2 just my 2 centsbut you could always keep it in the garage till needed

liquid battery they they put off co2 they cause numerous house fires every year and they blow up just if you read the warning labels it will say keep in a well vented area you need a sealed gel or i think is called a glass mat battery for that

different batteries! most deep cycle especially marine are sealed.
golf car batteries are not sealed at all.
you might also care to note that every battery backup sump pump i have ever seen uses the same marine batteries

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back