OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a guy i worked with loose his house to charging a golf cart battery. i think 75$battery and a 15$charger is nothing for a roof over your head and a life of sickness to co2 just my 2 centsbut you could always keep it in the garage till needed

I'll keep that in mind, but to be honest I am thinking my batteries aren't the same as nixer notes. I would have seen problems beforehand, not to mention most vortech diy use the same battery.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid battery they they put off co2 they cause numerous house fires every year and they blow up just if you read the warning labels it will say keep in a well vented area you need a sealed gel or i think is called a glass mat battery for that

I believe you mean hydrogen (H) gas - co2 (carbon dioxide) is actually used to suppress fires.

poppafish29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to bring this topic back up as I just got an MP40w and wouldn't mind building one of these as I live in Fl. However, it seems as if there were some health concerns. The question is if this is safe or not???

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my back up

Bottom right, the green thing is a voltmeter
a6890983-cb04-720a.jpg

Guts
a6890983-cb1e-55c5.jpg

Battery
a6890983-cb30-e31d.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while looking this over i didnt see a fuse in here did you add one?

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you order the battery cable from Ecotech Marine for about $5, they include the in-line fuse. That's how I handled the need for the plug. They added these to their parts department because the original battery backup they sold did not have a fuse and they had a recall.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you order the battery cable from Ecotech Marine for about $5, they include the in-line fuse. That's how I handled the need for the plug. They added these to their parts department because the original battery backup they sold did not have a fuse and they had a recall.

Yea I bought mine from Ecotech, just remember the fuse is on the Negative side

nice and clean setup!

thanks

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how effective would a lower-end computer UPS be at driving a vortech in the event of a power outage? I only have a single MP10 :smile:

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how effective would a lower-end computer UPS be at driving a vortech in the event of a power outage? I only have a single MP10 :smile:

Not the greatest, since with the power conversions of going from AC-DC consume energy

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest, since with the power conversions of going from AC-DC consume energy

hrm, computers do the same conversion though. My server's cheap UPS is pulling 137watts and says it only has ~6minutes, so I imagine the MP10 (only pulls 8-18watts) would have juice for considerably longer - so I'd say that's another sub $50 alternative!

TropicalReefCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a Vortech pump, why not use the direct and efficient battery backup feature? The pump uses a 24VDC power supply for normal operation, but when the power fails to the 24V input, it will operate at half speed from the 12VDC input in the power fail mode. In the Ecotech battery backup option, there is no electronics or special stuff other than a fuse (very important). A 12V battery is a 12V battery, regardless if it is a wet cell deep cycle (keep it in the garage or outside the house) or a sealed lead-acid battery like the factory unit. Ecotech uses a 12VDC 500ma power supply wired directly across the battery to keep the battery charged, with no other circuitry. The regulated trickle charger is probably just as good or better.

I have 2- MP40s and a battery backup on my system. After the battery backup was about 4-5 years old, I looked around at my local battery supplier and found the same sealed lead-acid battery (like used on computer UPS units) for way less than a replacement unit. I even doubled the amp-hour rating for a small amount of $ and modified the case to make it fit, works great.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back