OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run lines out to a solar module that would trickle charge your battery bank. You would need a few batteries to make up for your autonomy needed to run the pumps over night. Then they would automatically start charging agian at day break
It’s in my living room and theres hardwood floors and 24’ ceiling. I’m not retroing anything in there but it’s a great idea otherwise.
To keep the Apex alive during a power outage you have to have at least one of the EB8s connected to a UPS. In order to enable alerting about the power outage, you then connect the optional 12V power supply to a wall plug.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html
Slides-from-the-Apex-Power-Monitoring-and-Management-presentation-given-at-MACNA2013

In my case, I have everything except one Tunze 6055 shut off, and the 6055 goes down to 35%.

Turn things off:
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

Reference a profile for 6055 power level:
If Power Apex Off 000 Then 6055_35

- D
That’s a good approach but I’m already setup this way. Space is a reall restriction under my tank and the 18AH battery takes up about 1/6 the space of a 1500Va ups also, since there is now power conversiongoing on, that battery should run one stream for at least 9 hrs. You won’t gat that out of a desktop UPS.

Your point does make a lot of sense. Haha it's Australian also btw. I guess covering his *** incase someone zaps themselves.
It’s a really simple circuit and design. Would be simple enough to build but as a licensed bonded and insured C10 electrical contractor with over 30 years experiance there is no way in hell I would build one professionally. Just too much liability and my labor expense would be at least $300, $400 if the customer helped. And probably $650 if the customer started without me LOL

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune got back to me and the 14.2V float voltage on my led acid sealed battery or valve regulated is too high for the auxiliary power port.

I found this solution on amazon, who I hate but I get it today :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8SM66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And figured, what the heck.. in the case of emergency I’ll need to see under the sump so got this too and will connect it through a reed switch to come on when the stand door is opened.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66JO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good glad you found a solution. Let us know how it works out.
regardles of smoke or sucsess, I’ll report my results

Added bonus, that power regulator has a USB power port which I can use for my WiFi adapter and dump 1 wall wart from under my stand AND my router and modem are on a UPS so I’ll have visibility in the event of a power outage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very good topic. I've often wondered if there was a power loss, I would lose my memory and have to reprogram?

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning!!

So, the USB port on that converter is not 5V. It’s whatever output you have the thing adjusted to. If you have it set much above 6-7 volts it will smoke your cellphone or whatever you connect to it. I see nowhere in the standard Engrish documentation where the USB plug is specified at 5V or system voltage. It just doesn’t say so I checked with my DMM

Everything else is great! Powers the Apex nicely and my circulation pump keeps running. The LED strip lights look great under the stand and makes doing things down there a lot easier.
image.jpg

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch, sorry. hope nothing too expensive got plugged into the converter and smoked. but its cool that you got it all working.
here is to peace of mind!;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back