Battery Backup Options? eFlux

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Power Outage Season in New Jersey is quickly approaching and I would like to get a system that could at the very least power a wave maker in the event that the power goes out. I want something that'll turn on automatically if I'm sleeping or not home. I've looked up the two standard batteries that they sell on the reefing sites but I can't seem to figure out how to work it. I have Current USA eFlux wave makers. I'm also thinking that the battery can be used when I move. I just cannot figure out if there would be a way to connect even just one of my wave makers to the battery backups. I've checked youtube for DIY batteries, and looked through old threads but I do not understand the electrical jargon in the slightest and haven't been able to find an answer that makes sense to me and doesn't end up with trying to splice wires together.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eflux pumps are all tied into the loop and everything would have to be on the battery backup.
If you just have the pumps on a hub without the lights, just get any UPS backup that you would plug the hub power into and when power goes out, the pumps would still run, but not for very long.

I’ve lost power for 8 hours a couple months ago and didn’t do anything....all was fine when power came back on.
I think some people make too big a deal out of the need for backup, unless you are in a situation that is severe, then you may want a generator and transfer switch to do more than just your tank.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a battery backup for around 150$ its nice to have if i lose power in the winter, I know the tank wont get too cold. If you want to make one and have questions let me know
Here is a thread
Kinda funny, @Brad Miller you commented on my thread as well

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do have a gas generator for long term outages, but sometimes it'll go out for a few hours, it's rare, but we don't want to be lugging the generator out of the garage and filling it up just for a few hours of run time so I was hoping there'd be a way. I do plan to get the Current USA lights, I'm in the process of temporarily downsizing.
I made a battery backup for around 150$ its nice to have if i lose power in the winter, I know the tank wont get too cold. If you want to make one and have questions let me know
Here is a thread
Kinda funny, @Brad Miller you commented on my thread as well
About how much experience do you need/ how easy is it to learn? Is it something that you can manage if you have proper instructions? My knowledge of electrical anything ends at 'press the reset button when the outlet stops working' pretty much.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh its not hard BUT it does take a little bit of DIY skills. you would have to wire it up yourself and you can simply get wire and install it into the relays and other things by sticking the wire behind the screws and tightening them. If you wanted to make one I could give you a wiring schematic and answer questions

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back