Battery backup

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo I looked into the market for an automatic battery backup for my tank. I found options but didn't like the products or price on alot of them. Some you even had to buy their fans and others didn't even have heaters! I saw this and decided I'll just make my own and wanted to share what I made.
All I did was make a wooden box, I wired an outlet to a relay that is energized when it has wall power and de-energized when there is a power outage. When it's de-energized it dissconects the outlet on the box from the wall. The battery is connected to another relay that when de-energized it connects the battery to an inverter and the inverter to the plug on the box,this turns the inverter on and connects it to the outlet. It then will keep my most important things running for another 8 hours or until power is back on. Last there is a battery tender to make sure the battery is allways fully charged.
Not super complex but it works good!

IMG_20181229_233750.jpg

IMG_20181229_233851.jpg

IMG_20181229_233839.jpg

IMG_20181229_233904.jpg

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thinking outside of the box !
Well done !
Only thing I could think to add, would be a time delay for short power blips, possibly set for 5 minutes.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thinking outside of the box !
Well done !
Only thing I could think to add, would be a time delay for short power blips, possibly set for 5 minutes.
Yeah I thought about that. If the power cycles it seems like it switches over fast but if power cycled on and off it wouldn't work well. I think it would also be cool to incorporate some sort of wifi device to my phone that would notify me if I lost power somehow and I will know

wowatracy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! I was wanting to do something very similar to this, thanks for the idea. I'll probably be PMing you once I start getting into the build.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! I was wanting to do something very similar to this, thanks for the idea. I'll probably be PMing you once I start getting into the build.
One word of advice is if you are getting a inverter off eBay or somewhere cheap spend a little bit more because the cheapest ones produce dirty power and it doesn't work with A/C power pumps

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back