Battery backup

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of batteries I want to hook up to Tunze pump. I have the tunze 6105 switch thing and also a battery tender/charger. Have never done this before and not sure what connectors to use or how to wire it up.

1. Can I use the tender on both batteries together or only one?

2. How do I wire them/ + to + etc to maximize time.

3. What type of wire connectors do you recommend?

IMG_6503.jpeg
IMG_6504.jpeg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wire the batteries in parallel(positive to positive, negative to negative) you can use spade terminals or ring terminals with a screw/ nut( hard to see but looks like the battery terminals have holes in them..?) And yes the battery tender should be able to maintain both batteries connected together, but will take longer to charge them once depleted. Make sure to use the fuse on charger and adding a fuse between batteries is a good idea also(same amperage as the tender fuse)

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wire the batteries in parallel(positive to positive, negative to negative) you can use spade terminals or ring terminals with a screw/ nut( hard to see but looks like the battery terminals have holes in them..?) And yes the battery tender should be able to maintain both batteries connected together, but will take longer to charge them once depleted. Make sure to use the fuse on charger and adding a fuse between batteries is a good idea also(same amperage as the tender fuse)
Yes the terminals have holes so could use the ring things with nut and bolt.

Ok so I will wire the 2 batteries in parallel and then just attach tender to one of the terminals and since they are wired together it will charge both?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. And also connect the tunze thing with its power supply and pump plugged into it so that it switches automatically. If it were me, and you have a multimeter, I would plug the tunze stuff in and use multimeter on the wires that go to battery to see if it maintains(charges) the battery on its own.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more question. I only have 2 outlets behind my tank and using 1 for the apex energy bar and the other for a grounding rod. Should I plug batt charger into the wall outlet and move the grounding plug to open apex outlet?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe leave apex on one and a power strip on the other(for all these little things that will surely accumulate and not waste apex outlet on ground probe or trickle charger)

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have it wired correctly I think but when I remove pump power supply from Tunze battery backup switch the pump shuts off.

I have 2 batteries wired in parallel ++/- - and have wired the tunze to one battery positive and negative to the other as shown in pic. I also tried wiring to 1 battery + - terminal and still won’t work.

IMG_6585.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the Tunze controller is set to external control. If what is controlling it looses power it will shut off also.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like the Tunze controller is set to external control. If what is controlling it looses power it will shut off also.
When I take it out of external control it still doesn’t work when I unplug power supply cord from tunze.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Verify fuse is good?
Yep checked that. Think im gonna take clips off and wrap wires around terminals to be sure one wasn’t lose or something.

You bring up a good point about the external control with apex cable. If I lose power the apex will lose power and so the pump will not work? Or will it revert to always on state or something? Would love to hear from others that have this setup and if you are using apex cable with it or not.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just check voltages and connections then.

If the apex is looses power I am assuming it will no loner output voltage on the 0-10 volt signal. Your tunze will turn off when it sees a zero volt signal.
I have a GHL controller and have it backed up on the battery also.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok checked and it’s definitely not lose or anything. I did notice my 6105.50 doesn’t have this connection in pic that is highlighted. Don’t know much about this stuff but this just looks like something to use if you also want to hook up additional charger like solar or something?

1692471642490.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the Tunze forum and see if Roger can help. There is nobody, and I mean NOBODY, from a manufacturer who is more helpful than him. He might not know, but he will help if he can.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok checked and it’s definitely not lose or anything. I did notice my 6105.50 doesn’t have this connection in pic that is highlighted. Don’t know much about this stuff but this just looks like something to use if you also want to hook up additional charger like solar or something?

1692471642490.png

That is just a connector for the wires going to the battery.

You can tag @rvitko here also.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back