Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine, set up in March 2017, cell pic.

fts 01132019.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, are those Orphek leds.

They are, using Radion Ecotech rails (they happen to just slide in, expensive but works).

I really like the Orphek, the SW is simple but just works. I had the GHL Mitras 72xx before and pretty much hated them (so many firmware + SW bugs). The Atlantiks just work.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are, using Radion Ecotech rails (they happen to just slide in, expensive but works).

I really like the Orphek, the SW is simple but just works. I had the GHL Mitras 72xx before and pretty much hated them (so many firmware + SW bugs). The Atlantiks just work.
I'm running 2 Mitras lx7. Love em! Not a problem one.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2 Mitras lx7. Love em! Not a problem one.

Yeah, many of the problems are things you don't realize. For example, they are heavily thermally throttled in an typical room of 78 degrees unless you've adjust a handful of settings. And enjoy the process of learning that. I've met two other people with Mitras 7x who didn't realized their PAR was significantly less after being on for two hours with zero indication. When you plug it in, the lights do come on and it can be a pretty color with the warmer LEDs, but needing to read their forums for hours learning what temperature we should set for their upper bound + fan settings because GHL is too dang lazy to due it in first place (like every other manufacturer on earth), turned me off them pretty bad. I'm not a fan of GHL.

A great upside in this hobby is that we have plenty of product manufacturers so everyone can fine one they like and there are are many different successful ways to run a tank too

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, many of the problems are things you don't realize. For example, they are heavily thermally throttled in an typical room of 78 degrees unless you've adjust a handful of settings. And enjoy the process of learning that. I've met two people who Mitras 7x who didn't realized their PAR was significantly less after being on for two hours with zero indication. When you plug it in, the lights do come on and it can be a pretty color with the warmer LEDs, but needing to read their forums for hours learning what temperature we should set for their upper bound + fan settings because GHL is too dang lazy to due it in first place (like every other manufacturer on earth), turned me off them pretty bad. I'm not a fan of GHL.

A great upside in this hobby is that we have plenty of product manufacturers so everyone can fine one they like and there are are many different successful ways to run a tank too
Sounds like I need to investigate that. Didn't think it was anything more than going into ghl control center and adjusting a few things.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, many of the problems are things you don't realize. For example, they are heavily thermally throttled in an typical room of 78 degrees unless you've adjust a handful of settings. And enjoy the process of learning that. I've met two other people with Mitras 7x who didn't realized their PAR was significantly less after being on for two hours with zero indication. When you plug it in, the lights do come on and it can be a pretty color with the warmer LEDs, but needing to read their forums for hours learning what temperature we should set for their upper bound + fan settings because GHL is too dang lazy to due it in first place (like every other manufacturer on earth), turned me off them pretty bad. I'm not a fan of GHL.

I was looking at GHL for a possible lighting switch last year. I came across a thread mentioning the thermal throttling. That kinda turned me off of them.

I prefer to plug something in, turn it on and set a schedule. Don't like tinkering with colors and intensities myself. I run a 250w phoenix 14k metal halide with a Kessil A360WE off to one side to help with shadowing over my 40 breeder. It's working well so far even though it's a Frankenstein lighting setup:). I actually have two frags of Snipers Blue in my tank. One is directly under the MH, the other is directly under the Kessil. Growth is the same in my eyes. Color of each coral is identical as well.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to investigate that. Didn't think it was anything more than going into ghl control center and adjusting a few things.

The best answer as I recall was "65C temperature threshold, 100% fan speed, high efficiency output always".

The fan defaults to 60 or 80%, the temperature to 60(?), and my testing showed high output always hit thermal threshold with previous settings rendering it mute.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back