Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Quoyi loves the stuff. Rather expensive remedy but I didn’t buy him for that reason. Happy coincidence.

Whoa that's a cool fish I haven't heard of. Might have to try one since fluconazole only seems to be a temporary remedy for me. Have you had long term success with yours? Seems like it's hard to get one that acclimates well from what I read on them.

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa that's a cool fish I haven't heard of. Might have to try one since fluconazole only seems to be a temporary remedy for me. Have you had long term success with yours? Seems like it's hard to get one that acclimates well from what I read on them.

I've only had him a week or so. I had my lfs quarantine him for 3 weeks. I don't think it's going to be a problem though. It's eating frozen (reef frenzy, mysis, hakari herbivore), cobalt flakes, pellets (spectrum and hikari) and nori. He's a pig and his colors get better daily. I'll be surprised if it doesn't make it. Swims around all day, not afraid of anyone.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow.
Thank you! Honestly as I was posting the pic this morning I was thinking that I had something lesser than everyone else’s pink Bliss. It’s funny how we get jealous of the pics we see of other peoples stuff (at least I do), and forget that yours is cool in its own way.

@thaveteran , your’s is a perfect example. I even commented on how much I liked yours.

@Battlecorals I don’t think I’m doing anything special, but now I hope the yellow sticks around. We shal see as it develops over the course of the year. Thanks for the kind words - It means the world coming from you!

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see that Bliss is supposed to be more than just pink! Here’s a top down shot of mine with a small bit of yellow!

f0c8d336219b376a7781b5e6e499a0fe.jpg

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d update since the last post. So far it’s looking like my acros survived my alk swing about 3 weeks ago. One had a little STN, not the Shag, but seems to be recovering now. My doser has been giving me issues with getting clogged multiple times this past month so I’m suddenly starting to struggle to maintain stable parameters, just hoping I can get it back on track.

I did lose my acans, an entire garden, about 7 frags/mini colonies, just started losing color and not inflating like they used to about a month ago and today are pretty much bleached out and haven’t opened up for at least 2 weeks. Not sure if it was the alk, or something else, because I found it odd that I lost every acan (and only acans) simultaneously, some I’ve had much longer than others. Maybe I picked up some sort of acan disease when adding the latest frag to the group? Somewhat nervous about adding anymore acans anytime soon.

And now for some Shaggy pics:
B098EF66-14FD-4D3C-8175-497B09ADDD8B.jpeg

DF658F13-F21A-4783-8A5E-A15857CBAAB7.jpeg

F9C93159-3D1D-45D4-9D3F-8C32D8A367FD.jpeg

2A679F2C-186B-4938-A235-EAE890AB3423.jpeg

893C5833-C101-4C7E-B57C-365ACE2B4C2C.jpeg

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got some bryopsis sprouting up now too.. it’s patches a green, almost grass like (not hair algae) in a few spots. I trimmed it down with scissors a few weeks ago, and siphoned out the clippings with some WCs, but it’s back again in the same spots. I try not to use chemicals to fix things in this tank (wouldn’t even put chemiclean in there when I had a small bout with cyano), so I don’t plan to use fluconazole, especially after hearing how concerned you guys are while using it. Mine still seems manageable, and it’s mostly growing in places you can’t see unless you look from behind the tank, so I’m planning to just do another ‘lawn mowing’ session, but do you think I could cut them down then put some coral glue or epoxy over top of the area to kill it?
I offed bryopsis in the past, by keeping mag at 1600 and large water changes everyday for like 2 weeks.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted any pics for the contest in a few months. Just about killed all my sps with an alk drop. Alk was down to 5.4dkh by the time I caught it. I got it stable again and most sps are recovering. Including my Bliss frag. It's starting to encrust again:)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would share some of my experiences I've had so far in this contest. As everyone knows stability is the key to any successful Reef. So back in January I had broke down one of my tanks. I was changing it from an independent system with the hang on back overflow to a drilled tank that was piped into my other system. The contest frag was the first Coral to go into the tank. I figured no better way to see if I was doing things right then to enter a contest from the very beginning. I was also in the process of removing the sand from my current system this was connected to. The two different things changing was a destabilization factor and I noticed bryops in my display tank. So I added in about 4,000 mg of fluconazole and got rid of the bryops. Then I started having some Coral Wars from poor placement when I first set up my main tank 2 years ago. So after losing a really nice small colony I decided I had to do something. Many of the corals and this one problem were encrusted on the rock so I wrapped The Rock and some heavy black plastic to try to get rid of my problem Coral. Then as they say nothing good happens in the middle of the night, I had a bright idea that if I put a little drop of olive oil on my dosing pump heads that it may quiet them down. It did in fact quiet it down but it was a few days later that I realized because the pumps were no longer pumping. When I reset up the aquarium back in January I had bought a new set of Lights for it. I had decided to try radians and I hybrid fixture. I was extremely disappointed when I put a par meter on the radians I'm have been unhappy with them since day one. Again the middle of the night I had a bright idea and Post-it my Radeon for sale here on r2r. It's sold within a few hours. So now I have already shipped the Radeon and I'm waiting on BRS to ship me a Kessil. If this hasn't been enough to challenge my tank I also completely redesigned my mix system and added a AWC. I just turned it on yesterday and this morning luckily I checked the salinity of my tank and it was what is .027. Getting ready to leave for work I scooped a picture of water out and let the auto top off replace it with plain RO water. It brought the level back down to.026. That may be why I had a .5 dkh rise in the tank the last 24 hours. I am working back-to-back 12 hour shifts so maybe my tank will be safe for the next couple of days from me tampering with it.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shag Priority price got a real rough start. Initially I thought I was gong to lose it to necrosis. So far I managed to save half of the original frag. It is just beginning to gain some color and I hope it also starts to grow. All of my other SPS are doing fantastic. Hopefully it takes off.
IMG_20190328_134012.jpg
IMG_20190830_114710.jpg
IMG_20190328_134012.jpg
IMG_20190830_114822.jpg
IMG_20190830_114836.jpg
IMG_20190830_114648.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I right in saying there is only eight people left in the Bliss contest?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my entry photo shows the color well but I’m definitely seeing more pink and a hint of green in the center area. Maybe next month I’ll do better..
80CA1779-5EE5-450E-895C-DF33A7B86413.jpeg
I was wondering. This definitely shows the color better. Looking good!

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how everyone’s bliss is doing? Did you change anything to make it better? Did something happen that made it worse? For me I’m running a hybrid light with mh t5 and leds. I’m running the mh longer and the t5s shorter photo period. It seems to be helping. I had really slow growth. My bliss is just basing out forever without any growth.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how everyone’s bliss is doing? Did you change anything to make it better? Did something happen that made it worse? For me I’m running a hybrid light with mh t5 and leds. I’m running the mh longer and the t5s shorter photo period. It seems to be helping. I had really slow growth. My bliss is just basing out forever without any growth.
Mine too

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main display leaked, so I was forced to relocate in what was going to be my new frag tank. Started to branch a little in main tank. 5-6 weeks in this new tank it has doubled in size. Only real difference is I decided to put a chiller on this one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back