Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but do you think I could cut them down then put some coral glue or epoxy over top of the area to kill it?
You can, but eventually you will lose the war. That said, I'm going to continue to trim mine until it's unmanageable.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got some bryopsis sprouting up now too.. it’s patches a green, almost grass like (not hair algae) in a few spots. I trimmed it down with scissors a few weeks ago, and siphoned out the clippings with some WCs, but it’s back again in the same spots. I try not to use chemicals to fix things in this tank (wouldn’t even put chemiclean in there when I had a small bout with cyano), so I don’t plan to use fluconazole, especially after hearing how concerned you guys are while using it. Mine still seems manageable, and it’s mostly growing in places you can’t see unless you look from behind the tank, so I’m planning to just do another ‘lawn mowing’ session, but do you think I could cut them down then put some coral glue or epoxy over top of the area to kill it?

I'm with you and tried literally everything before resorting to fluconazole. I managed mine manually for several months but eventually it got out of control. And yes I did the epoxy trick too but that isn't a great solution unless you want to epoxy every crack in your entire rock structure. But in time it will also start growing in your sand bed (if you have one) as well which is a real pain and impossible to control without fluconazole once it gets there imo.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone QT their corals in fluconazole before going into DT?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like we are stuck dealing with bryopsis no matter what

I'm starting a QT to protect a large new frag system I'm building and thought about permanently running fluconazole in it. However, after some thought I'm thinking it's best to only run flucon if needed once they've acclimated to QT for the reason already mentioned. At least with a QT you will know if you're dealing with bryopsis or not and can still keep it out of DT. I'm pretty sure my bryopsis came in on zoa frags in between the polyps where it's hard to see. I've started tearing zoas off the rocks or plugs they come in on and glue the clean polyps on a fresh plug to prevent sneaky stuff like this. I find lots of bubble algae in between zoas too.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my tin down and everything is looking great (also coincided with the end of my fluconazole treatment). Shag finally shows polyps again.

aqtin.JPG

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my tin down and everything is looking great (also coincided with the end of my fluconazole treatment). Shag finally shows polyps again.

aqtin.JPG

Very Interesting. I also had Tin in my ICP for the first time ever following fluconazole treatment.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Interesting. I also had Tin in my ICP for the first time ever following fluconazole treatment.
I wonder if we're on to something. Maybe this is why fluconazole is rough on SPS? I'm not sure how the stuff is manufactured but maybe impurities find their way into the final product? Or some reaction in the aquarium? Who knows...

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if we're on to something. Maybe this is why fluconazole is rough on SPS? I'm not sure how the stuff is manufactured but maybe impurities find their way into the final product? Or some reaction in the aquarium? Who knows...

I'm back down to 0 Tin but will be starting another round of flucon in the coming weeks. That should be telling if it shows back up again.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, had my first ever alk swing. I usually test alk once a week, at least, but the time I decide to get a little comfortable.. BAM!

I keep my Alk at about 8.7-8.9, last test was 4/28, came in at 8.6, thought everything was normal, had just done a water change. I think it was around that time I noticed my entire acan garden was looking sad (not fully opening, all 5 or 6 of them slowly losing color). I assumed it was a freak occurrence because everyone else looked perfectly happy, including my monti’s, birdnest, acros etc. Fast forward to yesterday and all my acans are basically white and not opening up (tissue still all there). I decided to just go ahead and run some tests, starting with alk... and it was at 5.4! I ran it two more times (again on Salifert, and then on a seachem) confirming the 5.4. I immediately went to check my doser (after ironically talking crap about how I don’t need no fancy schmany trident earlier that morning) and found that the output had gotten clogged with precipitate and caused so much pressure the line to the dosing reservoir blew completely off. So nothing was being dosed for a week or so I guess except acropower. :(

So far though, other than my acans, which I really hope are salvageable and not already gone, nothing else looks to have been affected, but in the back of my mind I feel like all my acros are just gonna start dropping dead soon. I remember reading somewhere SPS react like a week or two after the swing. I did like a quadruple dose last night to start bringing it back up, it’s already at 7.0 now, but I don’t want to do it too fast in case that makes it worse. Wish me luck..

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a big swing like that happen before. Some sps died, others just lost color and growth temporarily. Now I have a kh monitor so it won’t happen again.
Welp, had my first ever alk swing. I usually test alk once a week, at least, but the time I decide to get a little comfortable.. BAM!

I keep my Alk at about 8.7-8.9, last test was 4/28, came in at 8.6, thought everything was normal, had just done a water change. I think it was around that time I noticed my entire acan garden was looking sad (not fully opening, all 5 or 6 of them slowly losing color). I assumed it was a freak occurrence because everyone else looked perfectly happy, including my monti’s, birdnest, acros etc. Fast forward to yesterday and all my acans are basically white and not opening up (tissue still all there). I decided to just go ahead and run some tests, starting with alk... and it was at 5.4! I ran it two more times (again on Salifert, and then on a seachem) confirming the 5.4. I immediately went to check my doser (after ironically talking crap about how I don’t need no fancy schmany trident earlier that morning) and found that the output had gotten clogged with precipitate and caused so much pressure the line to the dosing reservoir blew completely off. So nothing was being dosed for a week or so I guess except acropower. :(

So far though, other than my acans, which I really hope are salvageable and not already gone, nothing else looks to have been affected, but in the back of my mind I feel like all my acros are just gonna start dropping dead soon. I remember reading somewhere SPS react like a week or two after the swing. I did like a quadruple dose last night to start bringing it back up, it’s already at 7.0 now, but I don’t want to do it too fast in case that makes it worse. Wish me luck..

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know it’s a little late now but don’t bring it back up to fast. It was a gradual drop down and you don’t want to shock things back up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back