Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg ... I’ve never heard of this before ... how big was your tank?!
The tank is a 225. I never heard of it happened either. My ph probe in my calcium reactor had gel in it and I went to get some air out of the reactor and noticed a bunch of gel around the end of the probe. The tank was going just fine then started losing sps like crazy. Couldn't figure out what was going wrong. All the parameters were fine so thats what I think it was replaced the probe it's been a couple weeks the sps I have left are looking better. I dont know whats in the gel but I cant see it being reef safe.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out had a ph probe leak gel into my tank and wipe out a bunch of my sps including my shag. Good luck everyone in the rest of the contest.
How in the heck did that happen? Sorry to hear that :(

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no @Mrx7899 !!! Dude that's horrible. This hobby is hard enough without random rare crap happening. Did the Snipers blue make it? Sorry to hear this and I will be checking all my probes now on a more regular basis.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no @Mrx7899 !!! Dude that's horrible. This hobby is hard enough without random rare crap happening. Did the Snipers blue make it? Sorry to hear this and I will be checking all my probes now on a more regular basis.
Yeah the sniper blue is looking fine so far. It definitely sucks when a $35 probe wipes out almost half your tank.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01808AD2-C0ED-4BF9-8CDA-4A36D05EBC10.png
Happy Easter to you all and your families!!!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my third update put in the entry thread. I think the frag is still recovering from one of two things (or both): fluconazole treatment or elevated titanium (I mean tin - correction) levels. I started a cupramine reactor and have a Triton coming back soon to see if it has been effective. Also, bryopsis is back so I'm probably going to have to go through that whole thing again...

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my third update put in the entry thread. I think the frag is still recovering from one of two things (or both): fluconazole treatment or elevated titanium levels. I started a cupramine reactor and have a Triton coming back soon to see if it has been effective. Also, bryopsis is back so I'm probably going to have to go through that whole thing again...

Titanium!? Did you figure out what that was coming from? That's just not one I see often perusing the forums. Bryopsis sucks, fluconazole works but sometimes at a cost. I'd say your doing well to keep the frags chugging along! Good luck!!!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanium!? Did you figure out what that was coming from? That's just not one I see often perusing the forums. Bryopsis sucks, fluconazole works but sometimes at a cost. I'd say your doing well to keep the frags chugging along! Good luck!!!
Ooops I mean tin, not titanium... not sure what I was thinking. I haven't located the source. It could have been in the tank for quite a while though. I've been doing minimal WC over the last year so the source could be gone as I've swapped out a lot of equipment over the year. The brypsis is only bad in one spot right now - on my SCOP! I might do some manual removal and see how long I can coast before doing fluconazole again.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops I mean tin, not titanium... not sure what I was thinking. I haven't located the source. It could have been in the tank for quite a while though. I've been doing minimal WC over the last year so the source could be gone as I've swapped out a lot of equipment over the year. The brypsis is only bad in one spot right now - on my SCOP! I might do some manual removal and see how long I can coast before doing fluconazole again.

Oh no!!! Always the bad crap finds the nicest corals first.

Ahh I gotcha on the tin, seen quite a few of those for whatever reasons. They do test for titanium as well, but have never seen a test report high so was wondering.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. It's extremely frustrating the not so good times seem to take forever to correct.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my third update put in the entry thread. I think the frag is still recovering from one of two things (or both): fluconazole treatment or elevated titanium (I mean tin - correction) levels. I started a cupramine reactor and have a Triton coming back soon to see if it has been effective. Also, bryopsis is back so I'm probably going to have to go through that whole thing again...

I too had Tin in my ICP a couple of months ago but the following month it was gone so not quite sure if was a valid reading. A lot of people were getting Tin in their ICP around that time for whatever reason. But anyhow, I also had issues with some of my SPS around that time which also corresponded with a fluconazole treatment. I didn't lose any but a couple of pieces lost coloration and polyp extension - even a few months post treatment the color and PE hasn't returned on those few :(.

I'm in the same boat with Bryopsis come back so another treatment of fluconazole is immanent. I have to imagine it's just going to keep coming back so my new strategy is to get the rocks covered as much as possible with coral. My SPS has staked it's territory at this point so I'm going to let zoas fill in all the open rock space so no more bryopsis can grow (I hope).

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had Tin in my ICP a couple of months ago but the following month it was gone so not quite sure if was a valid reading. A lot of people were getting Tin in their ICP around that time for whatever reason. But anyhow, I also had issues with some of my SPS around that time which also corresponded with a fluconazole treatment. I didn't lose any but a couple of pieces lost coloration and polyp extension - even a few months post treatment the color and PE hasn't returned on those few :(.

I'm in the same boat with Bryopsis come back so another treatment of fluconazole is immanent. I have to imagine it's just going to keep coming back so my new strategy is to get the rocks covered as much as possible with coral. My SPS has staked it's territory at this point so I'm going to let zoas fill in all the open rock space so no more bryopsis can grow (I hope).
I don't think I went the full 21 days with flucanozole the first time. Guess I will this time. Dreading it already. I don't want to lose anything more.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I went the full 21 days with flucanozole the first time. Guess I will this time. Dreading it already. I don't want to lose anything more.

I went a full month last time but it still came back. I also forgot to mention that I really messed with my alk and calcium levels too. Not only did they both drop significantly but the ratio of uptake got all out off sorts so my calcium pushed 600 at one point. I'm not looking forward to round 2 either. :(

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what's the purple fluffy coral behind the shag here? Looks cool.
I've had a couple ask now haha. So I got it originally from Living Reef Orlando over a year ago (that's just an accidentally broken off frag). I reached out to them for the name a few months ago but they said they didn't sell it to me... because they don't have that colony. Well anyway.. I know I bought it there. It's basically a blue tenuis with gray-greenish polyps. It has some monstrous PE most of the time and the thing is invincible, like a WD. It looks most similar to my TSA Hunch Punch.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a full month last time but it still came back. I also forgot to mention that I really messed with my alk and calcium levels too. Not only did they both drop significantly but the ratio of uptake got all out off sorts so my calcium pushed 600 at one point. I'm not looking forward to round 2 either. :(
Same happened here. Alk uptake dropped over the first couple of weeks and I was having to constantly manage my dosing.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got some bryopsis sprouting up now too.. it’s patches a green, almost grass like (not hair algae) in a few spots. I trimmed it down with scissors a few weeks ago, and siphoned out the clippings with some WCs, but it’s back again in the same spots. I try not to use chemicals to fix things in this tank (wouldn’t even put chemiclean in there when I had a small bout with cyano), so I don’t plan to use fluconazole, especially after hearing how concerned you guys are while using it. Mine still seems manageable, and it’s mostly growing in places you can’t see unless you look from behind the tank, so I’m planning to just do another ‘lawn mowing’ session, but do you think I could cut them down then put some coral glue or epoxy over top of the area to kill it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back