Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT hasn't had any algae in over a year. Three months ago I decided to go bare bottom. I removed my sand and added another tank to the system. I have always had a small amount of nuisance algae in my refugium. Over the last few months I noticed three spots of bryopsis. Hoping to get it before it gets out of control I just dumped in 4000mgs of fluxrx. Time will tell if it was a mistake.
I was able to fend it off for a few weeks just scraping it out of the tank, but it just took over eventually.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large refugium. I have auto feeders that feed 6 times a day. If I don't add extra my levels will drop to 0. I think because my low phos and nitrate it had never spread. Then when I made the big change it gave it a chance. Now that the tank is back stable it stopped.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190330_084911.jpg
Guess I'm the next one out of the contest. This is what I found this am. I'm done. I failed. Well, good luck to those that still have a healthy one!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the flucanozole? I've read where it can be hard on frags. Needless, I need to rid this tank of bryopsis.
Oh that's right... I lost a couple (a cheap SPS and shortcake from WWC, but my other shortcake is fine) when I started the flucanozole but I was thinking it was something else. But my shag made it through the flucanozole... do you think it could be a change in some other parameter brought on by the flucanozole?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. I did have drop in all. From 8.5 to 7.7. That's the only thing I could find in my tests. Who knows? It never truly showed good PE.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. I did have drop in all. From 8.5 to 7.7. That's the only thing I could find in my tests. Who knows? It never truly showed good PE.
Mine had PE when I got it and it’s been struggling since the flucanozole. I also had an alk swing up 7.6 to 8.7 when I was trying to up my salinity. I forgot to condition the alk of the water down before I added it to the tank. I think we can say the shag does not like flucanozole based on our two experiences.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm noticing a tri color Valida that I fragged about 6 months ago getting some RTN also. I guess if I lose a couple to the cost of getting rid of bryopsis that won't be too bad. I'll be monitoring things much closer now. About a week into it.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190330_084911.jpg
Guess I'm the next one out of the contest. This is what I found this am. I'm done. I failed. Well, good luck to those that still have a healthy one!
I would guess it's the flucanozole as well. That is exactly what happened to some of my corals when I dosed it.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get rid of the bryopsis?
Yes. I did the treatment for 21 days. It stinks sitting by watching your corals die but I worried if I took the medication out early it would just come back. I think I ended up losing around 5k in corals.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I did the treatment for 21 days. It stinks sitting by watching your corals die but I worried if I took the medication out early it would just come back. I think I ended up losing around 5k in corals.
Ouch!!!!!! I'm going to run the course and see. I honestly don't know which is the lesser of the two evils. You read sooo many posts where people have no effects from it.

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that sucks man. I still battle bryopsis and always will. I periodically get lettuce nudi's and some part of my cleanup crew keeps it maintained for the most part. I'm not sure which one. I've been unwilling to try the in tank treatments.

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to post my Bliss pic here since idk if I should post a March pic (my first post was 1st week) for an official entry. Would feel kinda weird if I post it at the end of next month.
Tank is in a funk, will work on it sometime this weekend and next week.
7B47B4DB-AD20-42A9-B1B1-F845D9A14BA1.jpeg

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to post my Bliss pic here since idk if I should post a March pic (my first post was 1st week) for an official entry. Would feel kinda weird if I post it at the end of next month.
Tank is in a funk, will work on it sometime this weekend and next week.
7B47B4DB-AD20-42A9-B1B1-F845D9A14BA1.jpeg
Hmmm. You may have a bryopsis issue going on too?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back