Battlecorals Bliss and Shag Priority discussion thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Contest Piece Selections

• Therman's Rainbow

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • BC Bliss

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • June Ruby

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Shag Priority

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • Red Robin

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a 15% WC and started running carbon and it looks like the shag is trying to pop out its polyps just a little bit. IMO it's the Reef Flux, but I really had no choice but to use it for the bryopsis.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a 15% WC and started running carbon and it looks like the shag is trying to pop out its polyps just a little bit. IMO it's the Reef Flux, but I really had no choice but to use it for the bryopsis.
I know many people had success with reef flux but I’ve tried it twice and both times it wrecked my tank.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people had success with reef flux but I’ve tried it twice and both times it wrecked my tank.
Now I'm noticing my gold hammer and big green hammer have been suffering. Guess I'll keep waiting and doing more WC's.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the low res pics, gonna work on using a better camera in the future. At the one month mark and glad my shag seems to be doing well (especially after losing the other frag that came in with it almost immediately to RTN). It’s encrusted completely over the glue and now working it’s way over the plug. I’ve maintained great polyp extension but haven’t had much vertical growth yet. Thinking about trying some new coral food/aminos.

FCE4A5D6-6AC2-4724-936D-AE44EE1A5BCD.jpeg

B723C345-BC6D-421B-856F-7A235809D5B7.jpeg

493C33ED-4610-4583-AC75-B5EF7886E169.jpeg

BFD07A8C-A630-497F-B44F-7F49000027DB.jpeg

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm noticing my gold hammer and big green hammer have been suffering. Guess I'll keep waiting and doing more WC's.

Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates after the Reef Flux treatment. It may have bottom out or you have to much because the bryopsis dying. The reason that I ask is because when I had bryopsis, the NO3 and PO4 were at zero no matter how much I fed, after the treatment I had to be careful how much I fed because both would increase quickly!!! And also if you have cheato and didn’t take it out before treatment, it’s probably dying and releasing NO3 and PO4 back in your system!!! I hope that this info helps you out some... Good luck!!!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates after the Reef Flux treatment. It may have bottom out or you have to much because the bryopsis dying. The reason that I ask is because when I had bryopsis, the NO3 and PO4 were at zero no matter how much I fed, after the treatment I had to be careful how much I fed because both would increase quickly!!! And also if you have cheato and didn’t take it out before treatment, it’s probably dying and releasing NO3 and PO4 back in your system!!! I hope that this info helps you out some... Good luck!!!
Yes, test nearly daily. PO4 has been close to 0.15-0.20 ppm as of late. NO3 barely detectable and I'm dosing a pretty good amount.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, test nearly daily. PO4 has been close to 0.15-0.20 ppm as of late. NO3 barely detectable and I'm dosing a pretty good amount.
So what I can gather, an imbalance happened in your system after treatment and some corals are not happy!!! Don’t do anything drastic and try to find there happy medium, get your PO4 down and NO3 up! It’s only my opinion and systems are hard to figure out over the internet, too many variables to consider!!! So please just take this advice with all of this in mind.

Did the byropsis at least go away???

And do you have a fuge with cheato or any macros in there before treatment ?

You might have something else that died with the treatment and is leaching PO4!!!
Look around in your sump and make sure that everything is good.
I hope that this helps you out some!!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I can gather, an imbalance happened in your system after treatment and some corals are not happy!!! Don’t do anything drastic and try to find there happy medium, get your PO4 down and NO3 up! It’s only my opinion and systems are hard to figure out over the internet, too many variables to consider!!! So please just take this advice with all of this in mind.

Did the byropsis at least go away???

And do you have a fuge with cheato or any macros in there before treatment ?

You might have something else that died with the treatment and is leaching PO4!!!
Look around in your sump and make sure that everything is good.
I hope that this helps you out some!!
All the parameters that can be measured check out. My Triton test should be in tomorrow or so.

Bryopsis is gone, at least from what I can see.

Cheato population is down since the treatment. But NO3 is only trace so I can't expect it to grow much.

Let's see what fixing the NO3 situation does.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not noticing anything else looking bad albeit a couple of fresh frags. I read it can affect them.
I'm seeing some bryopsis start to look bad and break off, floating around the tank. I'm going to start monitoring po4 and nitrates daily now. More concerned about nitrates. I'm using vibrant also. Been feeding more heavy since using the vibrant.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not noticing anything else looking bad albeit a couple of fresh frags. I read it can affect them.
I'm seeing some bryopsis start to look bad and break off, floating around the tank. I'm going to start monitoring po4 and nitrates daily now. More concerned about nitrates. I'm using vibrant also. Been feeding more heavy since using the vibrant.
PO4 should come up as the bryopsis dies off so watch that. Shouldn't be an issue if you're already running GFO. I've seen tanks after fluconazole with scant PO4 monitoring :(

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT hasn't had any algae in over a year. Three months ago I decided to go bare bottom. I removed my sand and added another tank to the system. I have always had a small amount of nuisance algae in my refugium. Over the last few months I noticed three spots of bryopsis. Hoping to get it before it gets out of control I just dumped in 4000mgs of fluxrx. Time will tell if it was a mistake.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back