Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't leave well enough alone. Made some changes on Sunday.

I switched to the one 250 watt metal halide 6 weeks ago yesterday. Since it's a single point source, I do have some shading going on towards the outside of my corals. As a temporary solution, I added one of Kessil 360we to one side of the tank. I shifted the mh over as well. The Kessil turned up all the way on color and intensity doesn't even touch the output of the MH. The shimmer from the Kessil is way stronger as well.

Once I changed the lighting, I noticed some dead spots as far flow is concerned. So, I added a Tunze 6025 to the opposite side of the Icecap 3k I've been running. Might even put my mp40 back in. Still on the fence on that one.

For those that don't know, I do have 2 frags of Snipers Blue in my tank. The contest frag is directly under the MH. Best guess would be 5-600 par or so. The existing frag that I've had for a while is now directly under the Kessil. No idea on par and I couldn't even guess. My par estimates are based purely on results from when I ran this same halide over a 65 gallon like 8 years ago and had a friend do a par map for me. Never did a par map on leds so I don't even want to guess.

Both frags now get about the same flow as well. Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out:)

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still get confused when I see postings about PAR estimates, so when you say 5-600, is that at the water surface, or about where the frag sits in the tank?

My tanks got good flow, but I can see where rocks in the tank are blocking some of the flow. If I can find a place to relocate the live rock I likely will. I have another frag from the battle box nearby, paletta pink tip, and it is in more flow, slightly more light, and its encrusting really well, however my snipes is taking its sweet time. Different corals yes, but I think the increased flow is helping it. Should of placed it where I placed this one!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still get confused when I see postings about PAR estimates, so when you say 5-600, is that at the water surface, or about where the frag sits in the tank?

My tanks got good flow, but I can see where rocks in the tank are blocking some of the flow. If I can find a place to relocate the live rock I likely will. I have another frag from the battle box nearby, paletta pink tip, and it is in more flow, slightly more light, and its encrusting really well, however my snipes is taking its sweet time. Different corals yes, but I think the increased flow is helping it. Should of placed it where I placed this one!

This would be my best guess at the base of the frag. I do plan on getting a par meter within the next month. Just want to be able to answer this question without a doubt and have numbers to back it up. All I have now is a lux meter. Can't submerge that. I get 98,000 lux at the surface of the water directly under my MH. Not sure how accurate the convesion factors are, but if I go to the low end of dividing by 40, I get 2,450 par at the surface of the water. The frag sits about 17" directly under the MH bulb. About 7" below the surface of the water.

Edit:

High end. The low end would be dividing by 60. About 1700 par at the surface.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October official
IMG_2594.JPG
What size disk is it on?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I've never experienced that but I have heard that from others. I've personally never had a peppermint shrimp touch a coral.

I don't know if they actually eat the coral, or if they dig the food out of the LPS so much that it kills them. But I've had bad luck with them. The nudis are working but it's a slow process so far

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they actually eat the coral, or if they dig the food out of the LPS so much that it kills them. But I've had bad luck with them. The nudis are working but it's a slow process so far

Whatever works right?

I personally don't target feed so I don't have that problem. If the corals aren't strong enough to make it on their own, they don't deserve to be in my tank! lol.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a dino bloom going on myself. Never dealt with this stuff before. Really turning into a nightmare and has me hating my tank at the moment. Not sure what sparked this either. I've added nothing to the tank in over 2 months now. Only thing I can think of is my nutrients hit rock bottom. Most coral growth has ceased. Alk consumption is a big fat 0 over the past 7 days or so as well. Sure is discouraging.

I'll get a pic of my frag up this weekend.

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Hiegler's frag has me jealous. That is really great growth from that one side branch and it has sure encrusted well. Nice job.

Jason Hieger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Hiegler's frag has me jealous. That is really great growth from that one side branch and it has sure encrusted well. Nice job.

Thanks kurtp, growth has been decent. I'm sure others will have more growth and bettor color but I'm happy so far. Colors always fade for me. I'm sure it's nutrient related thought. One day I will get those in line.

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm impressed with the recent posts in the entry thread. Bubbacue, WWII and mipapareef frags all looking real good, too.
My guy is coming along, too, and although it has decent PE, not quite as shaggy as your guys'. Unless someone out there is sandbagging it, it looks like no clear forerunner yet....Fun!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back