Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all looking great! My plug is getting encrusting but I don't think I have any real growth yet

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I agree with sushitheshiba. MRX7899's frag has taken off!

20181023_190644-jpeg.871428

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So had a couple alkalinity swings in my tank over the past month and had a couple corals tips bleach..
I had a bad alkalinity test kit that was reading about .6-.7 dkh low so me trying to correct alkalinity and my low nutrient system a lot of my corals took a hit.. however still seeing some decent encrusting

9eb0c3bd250c9429f4c4de502e8f28ad.jpg

03c3c46db30d02f732ef2ab760b2eb3c.jpg

Also ran an analysis.. let me know what y’all think or anything I should change..?
https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/publicAnalysis/26555

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So had a couple alkalinity swings in my tank over the past month and had a couple corals tips bleach..
I had a bad alkalinity test kit that was reading about .6-.7 dkh low so me trying to correct alkalinity and my low nutrient system a lot of my corals took a hit.. however still seeing some decent encrusting

9eb0c3bd250c9429f4c4de502e8f28ad.jpg

03c3c46db30d02f732ef2ab760b2eb3c.jpg

Also ran an analysis.. let me know what y’all think or anything I should change..?
https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/publicAnalysis/26555
How do you keep up with your elements? I ask because I use ATI essentials and my last analysis showed me low on several of the same elements you are.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I m very happy with the growth on the back side it encrusted the whole plug and is on the rock. I guess I picked the right spot for it.

Last edited:

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep up with your elements? I ask because I use ATI essentials and my last analysis showed me low on several of the same elements you are.

I dose esv bionic.. it says it has trace elements however just doesn’t say what trace elements it has or at what concentration.. I just ordered a tub of the tropic marine salt.. I’m hoping that will fix my minor trace element issues..

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used medicoral from brighteell to help heal a coral?
Just ordered it for the snipes frag

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I thought were just elongating radial corallites may actually be new axial corallites with little radial corallite buds forming on their shafts, as seen in a few areas of my Snipers frag. I don't know, do radial corallites have the ability to become axial corallites? Regardless, it does look like this guy is starting to show signs of growth beyond laying down a foundation. I did recently add some epoxy next to one side of the plug (the lift side in this photo) thinking that it would give the coral a broader base than just growing down the sides of the plug. Besides just looking more natural, my theory is that a more spread out base will help promote overall growth.

OctSniperSideShot.jpg

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my frag turned for the worst. Half the flesh is gone already so I dipped it in medicoral from brightewell and hoping it’ll come around by tomorrow. 50/50 shot on it surviving until tomorrow :(

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuts, CNDReef. Sorry to hear that. I've been through that agony too many times, myself. The few times I have been able to stop the tissue loss (and usually I can't) is when I moved the frag to the bottom of the tank and partially in the 'shade' of the rock work.

Last edited:

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s messed up is all the other corals I got with it are still going strong and the one I needed to keep alive and growing is the one that doesn’t.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s messed up is all the other corals I got with it are still going strong and the one I needed to keep alive and growing is the one that doesn’t.
Yay that stinks. And I have no idea why one does well and another one just melts.

I got lucky because snipers is growing while the one directly behind it died within a week.

Hopefully it will come back. I’ve had some look completely dead for a couple months then start to grow again.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has any flesh tomorrow I’ll do the dip again but not looking promising right now

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months in: Interesting to see how some have frags that have taken off, others not much growth, with some who just hanging in there. I can't seem to find a happy medium with corals in my tank and I don't know what to pin it on other than some frags just need time to settle and do their thing. For example, I've got a green slimer on the left side of the tank that took about 5 months to take off, and another frag of the same colony added at the same time thats taken 10 months to start doing anything, flow and lighting are about equal. So go figure, I'm really not sure what's the main reason. Patience, consistency, a bit of luck...

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have some skin on it so I think it’ll pull through. I moved it into a high flow and high light and seams like the dip helped as well. Will repeat the dip again until I see something happening

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months in: Interesting to see how some have frags that have taken off, others not much growth, with some who just hanging in there. I can't seem to find a happy medium with corals in my tank and I don't know what to pin it on other than some frags just need time to settle and do their thing. For example, I've got a green slimer on the left side of the tank that took about 5 months to take off, and another frag of the same colony added at the same time thats taken 10 months to start doing anything, flow and lighting are about equal. So go figure, I'm really not sure what's the main reason. Patience, consistency, a bit of luck...
I think slash I don’t know that u just need to understand your tank like my tank has a ton of flow so my Corals very rarely grow up they base out for months then slowly start growing branches like if I were to go all in on winning this comp I would have set up a frag tank strictly for this coral where I wouldn’t touch anything in the tank and just leave it alone but since it’s in my display I have been messing around in it (unsuccessful trying to add a copperband going after aptasia and so on) which all messes with the Corals growth. Now with my flow “problem” I am willing to bet my coral will just base out for eight months and look like everyone of my other Corals

Like this one
B327FF44-E5A9-4921-95E6-6148C1946A05.jpeg

Very wide and slowly putting up its fingers it is roughly eight months old but in another month or two those fingers will shoot out like this
1B803DE3-2000-435B-B83C-7078443309F9.jpeg

So I’m kinda glad this comp is for a year as I feel i will be able to get it as big as the pearly cadaver above that is a year and two months in the photo above

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back