Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April entry pic has been posted. Still no noticeble vertical growth. After almost killing my frag from a combination of issues, it's finally starting to encrust again. It's also starting to color up. I'm dropping my ATI icp test in the mail today. I'll post results when I have them.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April entry pic has been posted. Still no noticeble vertical growth. After almost killing my frag from a combination of issues, it's finally starting to encrust again. It's also starting to color up. I'm dropping my ATI icp test in the mail today. I'll post results when I have them.
Sure! I just got my results back today which was stunning and right in time.
After I dosed Copper, Cobalt and Silver I sent a test out a week later to see how much they dropped from the math according to my dosing. At the time of the sample I did notice some white tips and reduced growth as before prior I started testing and adding controlled traces.
Well, I thought I screwed on Iodine but again my Barium levels were down to almost nothing. All other parameter were nice as expected and are good in shape, even Iodine.
So this dang low Barium (measure 2microgram/L), I figured out and as an isolated causes more trouble than I originally expected!
Definitely a trace element to watch out for.
It is know to be part of the calcification process and coral bring Barium deep into the coral, but apparently if almost depleted it causes white tips and reduces growth as well.
From the 2 last tests I know my depletion and will weekly dose this element and do a correction over the next few days. I should see improved growth asap if the theory is right ;-)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! I just got my results back today which was stunning and right in time.
After I dosed Copper, Cobalt and Silver I sent a test out a week later to see how much they dropped from the math according to my dosing. At the time of the sample I did notice some white tips and reduced growth as before prior I started testing and adding controlled traces.
Well, I thought I screwed on Iodine but again my Barium levels were down to almost nothing. All other parameter were nice as expected and are good in shape, even Iodine.
So this dang low Barium (measure 2microgram/L), I figured out and as an isolated causes more trouble than I originally expected!
Definitely a trace element to watch out for.
It is know to be part of the calcification process and coral bring Barium deep into the coral, but apparently if almost depleted it causes white tips and reduces growth as well.
From the 2 last tests I know my depletion and will weekly dose this element and do a correction over the next few days. I should see improved growth asap if the theory is right ;-)

That's good to know Andre! I'm looking forward to getting my results back and hearing what you have to say about them. My system quit using up nutrients like a sponge last week. I haven't had to dose anything for nitrates or phorphorus since Thursday. Not sure if that's an issue or not. Everything is looking good but I feel like there something missing. Or something there that shouldn't be there. I'll know in couple weeks and am looking forward to the results.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know Andre! I'm looking forward to getting my results back and hearing what you have to say about them. My system quit using up nutrients like a sponge last week. I haven't had to dose anything for nitrates or phorphorus since Thursday. Not sure if that's an issue or not. Everything is looking good but I feel like there something missing. Or something there that shouldn't be there. I'll know in couple weeks and am looking forward to the results.
Yep. let's see. The sudden stop in consumption of nutrients is sort of normal after a starving period, however I guess your gut feeling will be right ;-)
Looking forward to the results. Typically 2 weeks !!! Don't worry about the delivery delay if any.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted my April entry.
Here's my frag under different settings of my Kessil.
20180430_214751.jpg 20180430_215953.jpg 20180430_215853.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our updated contestant list. A few things to note:
  • Make sure you post 1 entry per calendar month. I'm going to officially make the cutoff 3am Eastern time/ 12am Pacific Time. I'm sorry that this wasn't clearly outlined before, I hope you guys understand why I have to set a deadline, I'm doing my best to be fair to everybody.
  • I also apologize for not even tracking anything last month but I'm caught up now
  • I have marked if a month was missed. Don't forget everyone has 1 skip but it can't be the last month. I have disqualified anyone who missed 2 months. Make sure to post entries in the official entry thread, the discussion thread won't count.
  • Please let me know if there's any confusion or if I made a mistake.
  1. Ergodyne - missed one
  2. newbreefer316
  3. MTBake
  4. Shameless_Dood
  5. ksfulk
  6. TonapahNorth
  7. Da Ghost
  8. rlman41299 - missed one
  9. alten78 - missed one, good for may
  10. aarbutina - missed one
  11. stylaster - missed one
  12. jerrad
  13. domination2580 - good for may but be careful with post timing
  14. Chac317
  15. Clownman727 - missed one
  16. Crimsonvice
  17. RUNVS - missed one
  18. aandfsoccr04
  19. kdino
  20. bubbaque
  21. Tcup25
  22. Josh Kraft
  23. SWSooner
  24. snakejacques
  25. Tphill
  26. Nola Bear
  27. nashorn
  28. Dmw913 - missed one, be careful with post timing as you are close to the deadlines each month
  29. Caravanshaka
  30. Karl M
  31. servo
  32. leahfiish
As far as leaders - hard to tell so far, and this is in no way official, but I'd say some of the strongest contenders right now are @Josh Kraft @jerrad @bubbaque and @Servo. Keep up the good work!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our updated contestant list. A few things to note:
  • Make sure you post 1 entry per calendar month. I'm going to officially make the cutoff 3am Eastern time/ 12am Pacific Time. I'm sorry that this wasn't clearly outlined before, I hope you guys understand why I have to set a deadline, I'm doing my best to be fair to everybody.
  • I also apologize for not even tracking anything last month but I'm caught up now
  • I have marked if a month was missed. Don't forget everyone has 1 skip but it can't be the last month. I have disqualified anyone who missed 2 months. Make sure to post entries in the official entry thread, the discussion thread won't count.
  • Please let me know if there's any confusion or if I made a mistake.
  1. Ergodyne - missed one
  2. newbreefer316
  3. MTBake
  4. Shameless_Dood
  5. ksfulk
  6. TonapahNorth
  7. Da Ghost
  8. rlman41299 - missed one
  9. alten78 - missed one, good for may
  10. aarbutina - missed one
  11. stylaster - missed one
  12. jerrad
  13. domination2580 - good for may but be careful with post timing
  14. Chac317
  15. Clownman727 - missed one
  16. Crimsonvice
  17. RUNVS - missed one
  18. aandfsoccr04
  19. kdino
  20. bubbaque
  21. Tcup25
  22. Josh Kraft
  23. SWSooner
  24. snakejacques
  25. Tphill
  26. Nola Bear
  27. nashorn
  28. Dmw913 - missed one, be careful with post timing as you are close to the deadlines each month
  29. Caravanshaka
  30. Karl M
  31. servo
  32. leahfiish
As far as leaders - hard to tell so far, and this is in no way official, but I'd say some of the strongest contenders right now are @Josh Kraft @jerrad @bubbaque and @Servo. Keep up the good work!
You have been doing a great job! It has been fun doing the contest so far, so thanks for putting this thing together!

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up there are 16 left in stock right now that are Prime eligible. I ordered myself one for my first ICP test maybe I can figure out what's going on to get mine coloring up a little better.

Step 1, stop skipping water changes

If you get your results before me I'm going to be mad. Mine is stuck somewhere. Tracking says "out for delivery" and then delivery is delayed for 2 days now.

Ps, For those that think I'm a dick, I know him

SWSooner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get your results before me I'm going to be mad. Mine is stuck somewhere. Tracking says "out for delivery" and then delivery is delayed for 2 days now.

Haha true I could use a few more water changes in my life. I also think I need stronger lights (try convincing my wife of that).

Josh, I'll remember this conversation the next time you need someone to feed your tank when your on vacation.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol, no worries. USPS has too many and delivers them all at one time multiple times a week. Last time I got my Test results even without delivery confirmation.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted my April entry.
Here's my frag under different settings of my Kessil.
20180430_214751.jpg 20180430_215953.jpg 20180430_215853.jpg
It may need a bit more light if it turns green a lot. That's mostly the case with many Acros. However careful relocate if you decide to do so.
Otherwise the coral looks good!

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may need a bit more light if it turns green a lot. That's mostly the case with many Acros. However careful relocate if you decide to do so.
Otherwise the coral looks good!
On the other end it's because of higher nutrients you run on the tank, hence the algae a bit more active ;-)

Have you tried a finer foam setting on the skimmer? That will knock out some organics better and slowly let this stuff fade away with some Biodigest of course, lol.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd post an update. My ATI test was delivered to California. Now it's just a waiting game to see the results.

I'm going to pick up some live phyto and rotifier culture from a clownfish breeder near me on hopefully Thursday. I'm not going to culture it as I can stop for more weekly.

I feel like my system is finally hitting it's stride. The dinos are gone and everything is growing and coloring up. I did loose a number of frags along the way but not the Vivids Rainbow. Looking forward to adding another Battlebox in a month or so.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bunch of us will be posting ATI results soon, if everyone decides to share.
I hope so ;-)
It's good to have an idea where the tank is, and if some traces are lacking which we can't really measure at home.

After I increased Barium again the tank is thriving, however it requires to send another test in a few weeks to see where it's heading to.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so ;-)
It's good to have an idea where the tank is, and if some traces are lacking which we can't really measure at home.

After I increased Barium again the tank is thriving, however it requires to send another test in a few weeks to see where it's heading to.
how did you increase Barium? I haven't been able to find an additive that can do it without causing a change in something else that would be going the wrong way for me.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barium was an issue at the very beginning of my 300G tank with the first fill in Janurary this year. The Reef Crystals had all sorts of traces missing, but Barium was extremely low in that batch. There are some recent articles where more and more 2 part vendors supplement Barium in the correct ratio into their 2 part chemicals as part of the Calcium solution which has Strontium and Barium in it. CA,SR & BA is finally after a lot of speculation another important triangle as part of the calcification in SPS. I was praying this for years, but Barium as a missing link was not tested until recently.

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my ICP test, my barium is very high, 120µg/l with suggested target of 10µg/l. Is this an issue? Triton suggested 4 15% water changes, which I did.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back